Fermentaion question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Fermentaion question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
sub1427
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Wilton, CT
Posts: 42


First time brew here, Belgain white, the whole brew process went smooth, Cooled down the wort to 70 and added the yeast... its been about 16 hours now at around 68-69 degrees in the primary and im really not seeing much activity with the airlock... i mean its going but nothing fast, maybe a bubble every 5-6 minutes maybe even longer. any ideas, or is it just too soon to tell?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
cweston
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,014
Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts


Did you use this...

Quote:
3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast.
Probable origin: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Beer Styles: White Beer, Grand Cru, Doubles, Spiced beers
Commercial examples may include: Celis Wit, Hoegaarden, Blanc de Brugge
Unique properties: A yeast with complex flavor profile which produces a spicey phenolic character with low ester production. Phenols tend to dominate most flavors and dissipates with age. Ferments fairly dry with a finish which compliments malted and unmalted wheat and oats. Sometimes used in conjunction with lactic acid bacteria to produces a sharper finish. This strain may be a slow starting yeast with true top cropping characteristics. Flocculation is low, with yeast staying suspended with proteins in a well designed beer. Alcohol tolerance approximately 10-11% ABV. Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 72-76%. (62-75 F, 16-24 C)
__________________

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sub1427
First time brew here, Belgain white, the whole brew process went smooth, Cooled down the wort to 70 and added the yeast... its been about 16 hours now at around 68-69 degrees in the primary and im really not seeing much activity with the airlock... i mean its going but nothing fast, maybe a bubble every 5-6 minutes maybe even longer. any ideas, or is it just too soon to tell?
patience, grasshopper...

16 hours is just barely enough time for the yeast to start doing their thing. check it tomorrow and see how fast it's gurgling.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
sub1427
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Wilton, CT
Posts: 42

Thanks guys, I'm still too excited about this homebrewing idea, i dont know if im going to have the patience to handle it though.


Also one more question. The final liquid i put into the primary was a brown color, Im just hoping its the sediment and that will all sink to the bottom? I mean beligains are white, not brown, lets get serious here. Let me know, thanks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
cweston
 
cweston's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Manhattan, KS
Posts: 2,014
Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sub1427
The final liquid i put into the primary was a brown color, Im just hoping its the sediment and that will all sink to the bottom? I mean beligains are white, not brown, lets get serious here. Let me know, thanks.
Beer always looks a lot darker when you're looking at 5 gallons of it than it does in the glass.

One of the biggest challenges, though, of extract brewing (I assume that's what you did, right?) is achieving a truly light color. Using DME or extremely fresh LME helps.

If you want, post your ingredients and we can comment on the color.

Belgian Wits are not really white, of course. I think the name comes from the cloudiness from the unmalted grains used in them.
__________________

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale


 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #6
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sub1427
Thanks guys, I'm still too excited about this homebrewing idea, i dont know if im going to have the patience to handle it though.


Also one more question. The final liquid i put into the primary was a brown color, Im just hoping its the sediment and that will all sink to the bottom? I mean beligains are white, not brown, lets get serious here. Let me know, thanks.
I wouldn't call a belgian 'white' beer 'white', but rather a milky tan color.

Also, keep in mind that the larger the volume of liquid you are looking at, the darker it will appear.

beer in kettle/fermenter = dark
beer in siphon line = light
beer in glass = somewhere in the middle

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Walker's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Posts: 10,987
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
One of the biggest challenges, though, of extract brewing (I assume that's what you did, right?) is achieving a truly light color. Using DME or extremely fresh LME helps.
something else that helps with light colored extract brews is adding only half of the extract at the beginning of the boil, and then adding the rest near the end of the boil. Less boiling means less caramelization means lighter color.

Be aware, though... a second addition of extract means you will get a second hot break in the kettle. That can cause a sneaky boilover on you if you aren't paying attention.

-walker
__________________
Ground Fault Brewing Co.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
sub1427
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Wilton, CT
Posts: 42

Steep at 150 for 30 min
8 oz flaked wheal
8 oz of belgian aromatic malt
4 oz of flaked oats
4 oz of oat hulls

boil:
5.5 lbs muntion wheat DME
4.3 HBU kent goldings hops

1/2 oz kend goldings
1/4 oz bitter orange peel
3/4 tsp crushed coriander seeds
18 tsp crushed cumin seeds.

more boiling
1/2 oz czech saaz
1/2 oz bitter orange
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1/8 tsp cumin seeds

my fingers hurt after that

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Hydrometer. How do I know when fermentaion is done? Rhymenoceros Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 01-28-2009 09:00 PM
fermentaion stuck i think Fitz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 05-30-2008 01:17 AM
fermentaion question Jah Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 04-25-2008 03:28 PM
Vigorous fermentaion first day, none 2nd fatchubbychubs Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 12-30-2007 03:08 PM
Slow Fermentaion voodoochild7 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 4 02-28-2007 04:56 AM


Forum Jump