Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > need some help developing my pumpkin ale recipe please

Old 09-04-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
bergman1118
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default need some help developing my pumpkin ale recipe please

I'm getting started a bit late to make a pumpkin ale, but hey better late than never. After looking through a bunch of recipes, I came up with this one based on what i have around and I just wanted to get a second opinion on this to make sure it sounds sane... this would be my first partial mash, and i would really appreciate some help with the recipe so i don't screw it up

6 lbs Amber LME
2 lbs Pale 2-Row malt
1 lb Crystal 60-L
8 oz Biscuit
4 oz Wheat, flaked
60 oz Pumpkin (60 min)
1 oz Kent Golding (60 min)
0.5 oz Fuggles (10 mins)
1 tsp Irish Moss (10 mins)
1 tsp nutmeg (3 mins)
1 tsp all spice (3 mins)
0.5 tsp cinamon (3 mins)
Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

Mash grain in 2 gals 150-155 F for 45 mins to 1 hour. Sparge w/ 2 gals of 175 F water, add wort back to brewpot. Add LME, pumpkin (which will be roasted in the oven at 350 for 45 mins or until carmelization is apparent), and hops. 50 mins into boil add 0.5 oz Fuggles, and Irish Moss. At ~57 mins add spices. Finish boiling, cool wort, transfer to carboy w/ aeration, fill to 5 gals, pitch yeast. it'll probably spend 2-3 weeks in primary, then off to secondary for a few, then into bottles (or TAD)... i will probably add spices, if necessary, to taste during secondary.

Does this sound like a pretty good plan?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Are you doing this as a partial mash? SInce you have 2-row?

I'd lose the wheat, it serves no real purpose, maybe add some brown, aromatic or munich instead.

And I'd add a flavor aroma hop addition, like fuggles.

Have you run this through a caclulator yet?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 706 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 76

This recipe is much like mine. The wheat should help with head retention. I don't like flavor hops in pumpkin ale - tried it once...not good. Munich would be a nice addition.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
bergman1118
Recipes 

Yes Yuri, this one is based heavily upon your recipe (thanks for that). I was just trying to adapt it to partial mash. Seeing as I have never done a PM, I would like to get this one right

I was thinking of fuggles (0.5 oz) for flavor hops, but I am leaning towards not using them b/c I would prefer to have a more pumpkin-like taste. I was also considering using some maple syrup as I noticed in some other recipes.. If used at the beginning of the boil, this will only contribute to the amount of fermentable sugars, correct? I don't have any munich at the moment either, and was planning on doing this tonight b/c of time constraints so munich really isn't a viable option for me. And no, I have not run this recipe through a calculator.. is the Tasty Brew one decent?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 706 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 76

BeerSmith has a free trial. Keep the maple syrup out of the boil. Add it during fermentation (or use it as a tool to adjust the OG).

Old 09-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You need to cut the cinnamon in my opinion. The nutmeg is and allspice are the flavors that are the characteristic to pumpkin pie.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #7
bergman1118
Recipes 

and there is some cinamon in the pumpkin pie spice.. so cutting it out makes sense i 'spose.

but otherwise everything else seems ok? i am most concerned about the grain bill and whether that seems reasonable for a partial mash. oh one more thing i just realize, the wheat i have is white wheat malt, not flaked.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3594 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would cut the cinnamon to 1/2 tsp. and skip the pumpkin pie spice in the boil. If the spiciness isn't what you want after primary fermentation, you can always make a pumpkin-pie spice tea and add it to secondary to your taste.

I went with 1 oz Fuggles for 60 mins and then 1 oz for 10 mins on mine, which I just did Monday. Sample tasted wonderful.

Oh, and 90 oz is a lot of pumpkin. Be prepared for a mess. 60 oz per Yuri's recipe seemed to do the trick for me.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't added the spices until 1 minute or even knockout.
Kegged Ready: Liberty Lager; Real Ale
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine '12; English Barleywine '14; Wee Heavy; Magpie Rye

Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3594 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
I wouldn't added the spices until 1 minute or even knockout.
+1 on that. I went for 5 mins. Spices tend to be volatile and lose flavor quickly.