Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Off Taste With StarSan?
Old 09-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Likes Given: 1

Default Off Taste With StarSan?

Hello All,

I thought I might consult with the council on an issue that I have been having with respect to an off taste that I have been getting in my beer after it has been bottled. At the time of bottling, I generally think that the beer tastes good, but after three weeks in bottles, it develops an overly-harsh bitter taste which almost tastes metallic. As taste buds differ, I guess it could be squeezed into the "off-flavors" category.

My biggest issue is that the flavor is not present at the time I move the beer from primary to secondary. It is also not present when I move it from secondary into the bottling container. I have bottled out of my glass carboy as well as out of my Better Bottle.

I use PLC to clean the bottles and Star San to sanitize the bottles as well as all equipment. I also use Corn Sugar to prime after boiling it in 2 cups of water in a stainless steel sauce pot and chill it down to room temperature in ice prior to adding to the bottling vessel.

It has been doing this for the last 3-4 beers. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This thread Has some good info on metallic taste in beer.