Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I didn't know quite where to put this:

Old 09-02-2008, 01:22 AM   #1
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default I didn't know quite where to put this:

Okay, it's time to spend some o the cash I've been working so hard to accumulate!

I'm going to go with mostly extract or extract with grain. I'd like to do full boils of 5 gallon batches. And yes, like all my other hobbies, I'm going to buy it right the first time. Which means getting things I can use for all-grain when I step up to it. Right now a friend and I are sharing most of the brew eqipment, and it's a PITA to haul back and forth from his place to mine.

I've got some free time now so I have the time to shop around for the best deals.

Right now these are the best I can find. Please feel free to suggest other sources/parts that are better/less expensive.

Brewing:
Bayau Burner: I'll probably go with the SP10 Amazon.com: Bayou Classic SP10 High-Pressure Outdoor Gas Cooker, Propane: Home & Garden If I don't buy it soon, I might jsut wait for turkey fryer sales, and get whatever is on sale.

Tank: I might just be stuck with a damn rhino, unless I can find a used one and swap it out.

Big Aluminum pot (locally available.) I can get a 10 gallon restaurant grade for about $60

Making an IC. I'll probably add an old aquarium pump and recirc ice water to save on water.: ~$30. I have most of the parts already.

I've got an RO/DI filter from my fishtank, so I'll be using pure water for my brews.

Fermenting:
I'm torn between Better Bottles and glass carboys. I've read all the pro/con threads, and the price is about the same. I'm most likely going to use corneys for secondarys when I can. I know it's not the 'correct' tool for the job, but I want to use eqipment that serves more than one purpose. I live in an NYC apartment, so space is a premium. (although I have a bit of basement space to use.) I'll either pick up 6.5gal glass carboys locally, or order the BB's. I figure I can get away with 4 carboys.

Kegging.
I've got to talk to the roommates about a kegerator/keezer. I'm pretty sure I can talk them into having one in the spare bedroom. However, I don't know which size I
can get away with. I'm looking at either the Oster fridge (2x2 footprint) or the Magic Chef 5.5 freezer (3x2) I really like the idea of 4 taps with the freezer, or space to lager 2 while drinking 2. But there is that space issue again. However, if I can find a sanyo 4912 locally (I think I have a line on one) it's a no contest. I like the energy star rating. Are there any other small fridges/freezers that are Energy star?

Kegerator
Fridge: Oster:$188 best buy, Oster - 5.0 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator - Silver - OR5005M3M
Or Sanyo:$289
2x keg kit (upgrade to perlics):Keg Connection.com $400
Love temp controller:$50 Controllers-Panel Mount And Love On/Off Temperature Controllers - Cole-Parmer Catalog
Roommate bribe: Custom etched glasses/few bottles of wine.

Keezer:
Freezer:$179 Home Depot
Hardware to upgrade:$100, with some fancy veneer to cover the front. (probably oak plywood)
4x keg kit (upgraded) 4 Faucet Refrigerator Conversion Kit, 4 kegs
Love Temp controller $50
Roommate bribe: Glasses/wine/detail her car/make something she'll like, (apfelwein, save me!)

Things to save some cash:
Buy everything seperately:
Cornys: Local guy has them for $24, or my cousin who works for pepsi (longshot)
Regulators: A single primary with two of these:

American Science & Surplus : Multi-Kegger Kinda Guy?

Add 2 guages, 4 check valves, fittings, hoses, ect.

CO2: find a 20# tank locally.

Faucets: Forward sealing + shanks.
$40 per faucet and another $40 for SS shank and hardware. (northern Brewer)

My only problem is if I only go with a 2 keg setup, I'm going to have to build another when I step up to 4. But then again, I like the building as much as I like the drinkng.

Ahhh, Decisions, decisions decisions...

So, what would be the smart move? I'm on the fence about the keezer/kegarator (have to make sure the roommates can deal with drinking fresh beer from a tap.) The rest of it is no-brainer. I can brew inside until the turkey friers go on sale.

But should I go with BB's or glass carboys?

Sorry for the long, mostly druck post.

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 AM   #2
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have gone the BB route... Mainly for the lightweight and that I don't wanna be covered in 5 gallons of beer and broken glass because I tend to imbibe a homebrew or four while making a batch...

Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:16 AM   #3
jspence1
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad coffee View Post

I've got an RO/DI filter from my fishtank, so I'll be using pure water for my brews.

B
Ro water isn't good for beer unless you plan on adding salts to it to match a specific region (lol stay away from the instant ocean i think that will be a little to salty ) but your 3 pre filters will make dandy water for beer.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:36 AM   #4
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 447 Times on 440 Posts
Likes Given: 48

actually I took off the RO and only have prefilter-carbon-DI and get 0tds!

B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.