Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Necessity,or rather laziness in my case is the mother of all inventions.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #1
Nostrildamus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Necessity,or rather laziness in my case is the mother of all inventions.

Necessity,or rather laziness in my case is the mother of all inventions. You see, I left my carboys with cleaning solution in them for two weeks and they just sat there festering in my brew shed uncleaned, unseen and unloved. Today I bucked up and went to clean them but that yeast line from the high kraeusen would not budge and my carboy brush just wouldn't reach it at such an angle especially in my 6 gallon.

What was I too do?

Then it hit me. I took my bottle brush and sacrificed it to the cleaning gods, removing the looped end and then wrapping that end in tape. I jammed that sucker into my high speed drill and tightened it down. I then made a bend right above the brush portion at about 70 degrees and then a second bend 2/3rds of the way along the brush portion to match the contour of the carboy top. I fired up my drill at a slow speed and saw the muck which was stuck to the inside of the carboy disappearing. If slow speed was good, surely high speed would be great! I fired it up and saw yeast erased from the glass at record speed.

This thing is magical and makes clean up ultra-quick and easy. I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with this but there's no going back for me now!

Drinking: Fight Night Pale Ale
Fermenting: 100 pints o' Stout

Old 08-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you had left them full of oxyclean, they would have been sparkling and clean when you came back to them, no elbow grease required. (But great idea!!)

Old 08-31-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
blk94f150
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwig View Post
If you had left them full of oxyclean, they would have been sparkling and clean when you came back to them, no elbow grease required. (But great idea!!)
Yep, Oxyclean is the shizz. It's to bad that guy that yells at the camera advertises it. As soon as I see him advertise for anything, I immediately think BS.

Mike

Old 08-31-2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2890 Times on 1703 Posts
Likes Given: 3520

Yep, I've left mine a couple weeks with oxyclean and just needed a thorough rinsing after. My philosophy is let the fizzy bubbles do the work for me.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-01-2008, 09:52 PM   #5
TheFlatline
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My last stout had the mother of all encrusted krausen rings (3 weeks in the primary and then a hot day or two after I rinsed out the yeast) and a week in oxyclean made it sparkle with no effort on my part.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 683 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Oxyclean maybe good, but the OP's solution sounded like more fun!