Bottle conditioning in 80 degree temps? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Bottle conditioning in 80 degree temps?

Old 08-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #1
Haterade
Recipes 

May 2008
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well, the wife got me a fridge for my burfday so now I can ferment my ales at wonderfully consistent temps. Downside is that all my stuff is going into the garage along with it. I have ownership of a couple of the kitchen cabinets so I can keep my brews at a good room temp for about a week. After that, they get rotated into the garage which is going from 65 - 85 right now. The fridge is full of fermenting beer.

Is this going to have a horrible effect? I guess I'll find out in a week but I've got a nice IPA coming through the pipeline I'm almost afraid to risk. Of course, during the winter, these temps could fluctuate from probably 45 - 65 here in GA.

Is this going to kill my brews with these wild (and high/low) temp fluctuations? Right now I drink most of mine about 1.5 months after brewing...

You guys are awesome.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
GunnerMan
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have kept my bottledf beer in a stable 80 degree area. Havent tasted anything bad but then again I havent had a test thats been in 70 so idk.

Planned: A green chile beer, I live in New Mexico gotta have the green chile beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
Two days into my last batch made and the scent of the farts of a thousand rhinos is permeating the basement...

Life is good...

Old 08-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #3
Thor the Mighty
Recipes 

Feb 2008
california
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

it gives off flavors. thats what the last two batches of mine have succumb to. so sad. made a hoegaarden clone and it smells like armpit.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
enderwig

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Dickinson Texas
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I bottle condition in my den, the thermostat is set at 79 and I have had no problems. My primary and secondary are in a temp controlled freezer, after a month in there, they get bottled and go to the den.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Burlington, VT
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have some double oatmeal stouts sitting in my basement which is usually around 70-80 in the summer (I so wish it was colder) but I tried one after 6 months and it still tasted awesome, it's so hard to leave the other 5 in the reserves!!!