I plan on getting this kit for my first brew along with a brewing kit from Northern and using a glass carboy. I just want to make sure I'm adding the ingredients in the correct order and for the right time. I think I've got a handle on the cleaning/sanitizing/sterilizing.
This is the Extra Pale Ale:
Extra Pale Ale Extract Kit -- Kit Inventory Sheet
Extra Pale Ale Extract Kit
O.G: 1045 / Ready: 6 weeks
* 1 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
* 6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
* 2 oz. Cascade (60 min)
* 1 oz. Cascade (1 min)
If you choose dry yeast
* Safale US-05. Optimum temperature: 59-75��F.
If you choose liquid yeast
* Wyeast #1056 American Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 60-72��F.
1. Activate yeast and set aside.
2. Put two gallons of boiled water in carboy (after it cools).
3. Then I will bring 3 gallons of water to 170 degrees and add the specialty grain for 15 minutes to steep. (after crushing in a ziplock and then putting them in the muslim bag. then remove.
4. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and add the liquid malt extract. Stirring well until completely mixed.
5. Then add the 2 oz of cascade.
6. Return to boil for 60 minutes. Watch for a boil over.
7. In the last minute add the other 1 oz of cascade.
8. give a bath in sink to cool off to 80 degrees or so.
9. Add Yeast to Fermenter.
10. Add the Wort to the Fermenter. Let it pour fast to aerate.
11. Add Blow off and leave alone.
I was going to search but as long as I've posted this... Would liquid or dry yeast be better?