Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Crooked Tree Clone

Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
AHol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone made this recently? Don't know if anyone has seen this:

Aaron at Darkhorse. "Yes we condition with the primary yeast. The yeast strain use in
our IPA is Nottingham - Don't know if you have ever used it, but
it is a great yeast. Very versatile! I recommend it to anyone -
I have been brewing with it for years - it will even ferment down
to 50 degrees so you can use it to make kind-a-lagers. I have
used it to make Oktoberfest and a few other lagers and no one can
tell the difference. Ferments very clean, flocs well, and handles
multiple pitches great. - Aaron"
Mustangj Likes This 
Old 05-06-2013, 01:44 AM   #22
turtle313
Recipes 

So I recently brewed this...I did a extract with 2lbs of DME early and 6lbs LME late. Also I used Wyeast London ale III. it's a good Nottingham substitute. 8 days in primary and it still chugging along!!

Old 04-12-2014, 06:54 PM   #23
justineaton
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I am still fairly new to all grain with my first batch I did a ten gallon and my water amounts where perfect. My second batch I ended up with four gallons instead of five after boiling. Can someone help me with figuring out amounts of water for this recipe? Is there a way to tell how much will be absorbed into grain and how much boils off? I'm planning on doubling this for a double crooked tree.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 AM   #24
mrgrimm101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Hello,

I'm trying to convert this to extract, as I am a fairly new brewer and not quite ready for all grain. I found a simple enough calculation for the pale malt to LME or DME, but I still have a few questions about this recipe:

1.) Can I still steep the 1 lb of Crystal 10L (I was thinking about 30 minutes at 150*-155* F)
2.) Is there a substitute for Munich, as I've read that it is not good to steep Munich.
3.) Do I need to adjust the amount of hops or hop schedule in any way?
4.) How long did you dry hop?

Thank you for any advice.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 PM   #25
seehuusen
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHol View Post
Has anyone made this recently? Don't know if anyone has seen this:
"....The yeast strain use in our IPA is Nottingham...."
I've got Nottingham on the stirplate right now, just waiting on a delivery of my new SS Immersion chiller (arrival tomorrow, pending floods here in Queensland, AU)...

I'll unfortunately have to swap the bittering hop (Chinook) out, as I can't seem to get any from my LHBS. Thinking of going with Galena, which I've got a bag of in the freezer... Thoughts?

Will report back once brewed and fermented out

Cheers
Martin

Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #26
seehuusen
Recipes 

Hey guys,

I brewed this up yesterday, got 6.5 gallons of 1.067 wort into the fermenter, now bubbling away on Nottingham yeast

It was a pretty eventful brew-day TBH, I ended up doing a bunch of "firsts", my pickup tube in my brew kettle was new and not tested (caused issues with my whirlpool), the immersion chiller was new and not tested (in fact the hole in my keggle wasn't quite big enough, so I had to "screw" it in!), the water I have here in sunny QLD is about 82F making it hard to chill the wort completely... Never the less, I think it'll still turn out to be a good beer!

With the dry-hopping schedule of 2 weeks, that seems extreme to me? I think 1 week is more than sufficient, thoughts?

Cheers,
Martin

Old 02-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #27
aproud1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I have this on tap now and did a 10 day dry hop. Pretty tasty and 7.4%. I personally don't think 4 days makes that much of a difference but YMMV.

Thanks for the recipe. Certainly a winner.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #28
seehuusen
Recipes 

Thanks aproud1, I'm mainly concerned/worried about the grassy flavours you get if you dry hop for too long. I guess I'll start tasting it from 5 or so days in secondary and keep an eye on it.

BTW I'd forgotten how much of an animal the Nottingham yeast is! I've had to switch over to a blow-off tube this morning
I do love the creamy mouth feel I get from that yeast though. Really looking forward to trying this beer!

Old 03-23-2015, 03:30 AM   #29
seehuusen
Recipes 

Trialled a bottle yesterday, it is still a little green, but I got resinous, almost spicy pine flavours, backed by big malt flavours. Does that compare to anyone else's taste notes?

I need to let it condition a few more weeks, but current thoughts would be to get a bit more bitterness into that beer, which perhaps makes it more distant to the original, thoughts?

Thanks to the OP for the original recipe