Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > What to do when you have more wort then your boil pot has room for?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
Ryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default What to do when you have more wort then your boil pot has room for?

So I was planning on making the 8-8-08 RIS that many of you guys made. So I was doing some planning and saw that when it was all said and done, after mash water (1.2 qt/lb) and sparge water (.5 gal/lb) I was going to end up with 13.6 gallons of wort. My problem is that I only have a 8 gallon boil pot.

My question for you guys is that, without going and buying another pot, what are my options here. Could I just split them up into seperate pots and then just gradually add them as I get more room in the boil pot?

Old 08-29-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 469 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Wait, how big of a batch are you planning on doing? You aren't really planning on boiling down 13.6 gallons to five, are you?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 08-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If i did my sparge calculations right, i was going to

Old 08-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
Wait, how big of a batch are you planning on doing? You aren't really planning on boiling down 13.6 gallons to five, are you?
For the 888, I boiled 11 gallons down to 5.5. I was still sparging at 1.040 and didn't want suck-fist efficiency.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'd just boil what you are comfortable with and add more as the volume lowers. I'd start the hop additions when you add the last gallon of wort - assuming a boil off rate of 1 gal. per hour.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 08-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

I agree, top it off as it boils down OR run it off in seperate sterilized containers to make starters or malt vinegar.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1335 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 35

This type of beer really begs to be partigyled rather than using a 4 hour boil fest. I would calculate out, via software of course, a grain bill and mash thickness that would yeild a 7 gallon preboil via first runnings only. When I did that for my barleywine partigyle, the gravity was worth about 60% of the entire grain bill potential. The sparge after that produced another 25%. The interesting thing is, 85% (the collective effieciency for the grain bill) is close to my normal efficiency. If yours is lower, like 70%, I'd assume 55% for first runnings and 15% for second.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
Ryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bobby,

I've never heard of that term used before. Could you post a link that does a good job explaining this (or describe it yourself).

Old 08-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #9
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Ryan, check out the top three links from a member of my club's site, it's a pretty comprehensive guide to parti-gyle brewing:

TOM’S HOMEBREW HOMEPAGE

Old 08-29-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1335 Times on 876 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Ryan, there are a lot of writeups out there on partigyle. The digest version is that you use a relatively large grainbill (you are anyway) and use the first runnings for your big beer and second runnings for a totally separate smaller beer. It's a way of getting as much beer for the grainbill as possible without having to do 4 hour boils. It uses a little more grain but you get twice as much beer.