Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > recipe for widmer hefeweizen clone?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:48 PM   #11
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_young View Post
On the same topic, has anybody tried to regenerate yeast from a bottle of Widmer Hefe?

(I, too, love Widmer. East coast hefes taste like formaldehyde to me, by comparison.)
It's available as WLP320. I'm not sure if it can be cultured. I would imagine it is bottle conditioned but it wouldn't hurt to ask the brewery if it is and if so if they use the primary strain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 03-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired_young View Post
On the same topic, has anybody tried to regenerate yeast from a bottle of Widmer Hefe?

(I, too, love Widmer. East coast hefes taste like formaldehyde to me, by comparison.)
Despite using the word "hefeweizen" in the name, style-wise Widmer (and Pyramid, etc) are American pale wheat ales and not hefeweizens.

I'm not sure what east coast hefes you're referring to, but maybe you just don't like hefeweizens? American wheats don't have anywhere near the level of phenols and esters that hefeweizens do.

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 06
BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 15

or

American Pale Wheat Ale - BeerAdvocate

Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
TurboBrew
Recipes 

So according to saccharomyces' recipe, it's only a 45 min. boil?

Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #14
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Despite using the word "hefeweizen" in the name, style-wise Widmer (and Pyramid, etc) are American pale wheat ales and not hefeweizens.

I'm not sure what east coast hefes you're referring to, but maybe you just don't like hefeweizens? American wheats don't have anywhere near the level of phenols and esters that hefeweizens do.

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 06
BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 15

or

American Pale Wheat Ale - BeerAdvocate
In my snobbish opinion, if it's not a German Hefe Weizen or a Belgium Wit then it's an American Wheat...there are no American Hefe Weizens!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 321 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
In my snobbish opinion, if it's not a German Hefe Weizen or a Belgium Wit then it's an American Wheat...there are no American Hefe Weizens!!!
Fair enough but it's still beer and most likely tastes good

Old 03-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #16
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by humann_brewing View Post
Fair enough but it's still beer and most likely tastes good
I can't argue with that logic...allow me to buy you a brew...

Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #17
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
IMO, style labels are there to describe flavor. It's a lot more useful to say that Allagash White is a wit, Pyramid Hefeweizen is an American pale wheat, and New Glarus Unplugged is a hefeweizen than it is to say "they're all wheat beers from the US".

Honestly, flavor-wise Allagash White and Brooklyn Grand Cru have more in common with Hoegaarden or St Bernardus Wit than with American pale wheats like Pyramid or Widmer (or Sam/Anchor Summer, or Bell's Oberon, or whatever).

Likewise, New Glarus Unplugged and Live Oak Weiss have more in common with Weihenstephaner and Paulaner hefeweizens than with those American Pale wheats.
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 AM   #18
cory41287
Recipes 

this is from a LHBS (in vancouver WA, 5 mins from portland OR) they claim it is similar to widmer. i have not brewed this so i have no clue if it is or not.

Northwest Style HefeWeizen Ingredients*::*USA Microbrewery Beer Recipes*::*"Replicator" Beer Recipes*::*Bader Beer & Wine Supply, Inc.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Has anyone done the all-grain version of Saccharomyces recipe? I think I'll give it a go as I have some 1007 and all the ingredients on hand right now.

Quote:
I would imagine it is bottle conditioned but it wouldn't hurt to ask the brewery if it is and if so if they use the primary strain.
FWIW, I did a brewery tour recently and I'm pretty sure they don't bottle condition. They talked about co2 and controlling the yeast count in the bottle.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #20
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
Has anyone done the all-grain version of Saccharomyces recipe? I think I'll give it a go as I have some 1007 and all the ingredients on hand right now.
I haven't, let me know if it's any good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd