Employment Issues - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Employment Issues

Old 08-28-2008, 09:31 PM   #1
NJTomatoguy

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Maple Shade NJ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was self employed in the mortgage business.
I saw an ad in craigslist, answered it, and was hired on the spot. It was a net branch of a larger company in my area.

I went in 2 nights, from 5-7, originated 2 loans in 4 hrs! Everybody is happy, then phone/internet crashes. they closed friday. no communication. worked from home.

Week one- no work, sat there for 9 hrs a day. Never signed any paperwork for this guy, even though we had a whole week to go over any questions because the phones and internet were down. Was never given a written contract, with him. All documentation was through the parent company.

Monday- go to work, still no phones or internet.
Monday night, as I'm leaving, get called into mgr office, have a poorly written contract thrown in front of me. I mean pathetic, poorly written, a ten yr old could have done better. They cut 5% off my split, and wanted me to pay per file for processing. It is common practice for the outside sales, but I was brought in as an "employee" of the parent company. Basically, a net branch guy was trying to pass fees that he should pay as employer onto me.
I refused to sign-

Tuesday. I called mgr, stated that i would not be in that day, but would like to meet with the owner of the branch and him, at their convenience.

Wednesday. Owner calls my cell # at 9:30 am, FREAKING out, threatening me with banking commission, etc. I don't normally start until 11, so I head in.
I get there, we talk, I inform him that this is not what we agreed to, and resign. Give him back his key to office, and leave. He calls me once an hour all day, telling me i need to think, clear my head, and just come in tomorrow,all is forgotten. I answer his 6th phone call, and as politely as possible telll him that I resigned, I don't want to do business with his company, and what we verbally agreed to is not the contract he asked me to sign. His exact words were,"ok, I'll let you resign."

Thursday,today, he calls again, and leaves a message on my machine. I am not letting you resign, I am firing you, I will hold your license so you can't work in the business, and I know a lot of people in the business, and I'll make sure you never work in the business again. Calls again, and tells me to just get in here, get to work, and he will forget everything. I laughed at him.
He then told me he was going to sue me for breach of contract, and chase me for leads he purchased, and time in a seat with autodialer that didn't work, for about $5000. I laughed again.

I then went to the parent company HQ, spoke to HR, and found out this guy has no contract with me, because technically I was an employee of parent company, not him.
On the way home, I stopped at another company, inerviewed with 3 people, the owner, the corporate recruiter, and a sales mgr that i will be working for. I agreed to work with them, filled out all info, signed employment contract withe them, and signed/dated/ initialled 86, yes 86, pages of disclosures, agreements and company policy.

I need a beer.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:43 PM   #2
JoMarky
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Albany, NY
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

alls well that ends well. Any ending with beer = good ending Sounds like the new job is much more professional, hopefully no more run around games.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts

Hey - At least we can say w00t for the new job, right?

Sounds like the dude at the other place is a SKEEZE BALL. We call those types "sweasels" at my work. Because they will try to sweasel you into anything. (Short for scam-weasel)

My sister had a similar experience, albeit in a COMPLETELY different job field. Turns out that door-to-door Kirby salesmen can't write a contract worth $0.01. My mom read the sh!t before she'd let her start working there, and it was complete crap. That job offer ended there, but the "manager" called her back 6 times a day for the next month, begging her to come in and work for them.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
NJTomatoguy

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Maple Shade NJ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

NJ Department of Banking and Insurance - Home

Your state should also have a regualtory agency.

That's mine.

I am proud of the fact that I am licensed by the state to solicit mortgages. I can lend in 50 states. I passed an intensive background check. This guy came from another state (PA), because him and his wife are under federal indictment. He cannot sell or solicit mortgages in NJ . He is actually a real estate agent, but his license was suspended in PA, to sell real estate, so he moved acroos the bridge, rented a ****ty office, and hired me.

I don't do dirty business.
People like him give all mortgage guys a bad name. He is a Broker, not a Bank.

Apparently, he wanted to use my license to do business. Shame on me for not running him thru NJDOBI.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

I'm qualified and licensed to advice on and sell mortgages in the UK along with other financial products. I walked away from it after a year. Too many unscrupulous people to deal with.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
monty73741
Recipes 

Jan 2008
baltimore, md (dundalk)
Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I my self was on the way to be licensed to be a loan officer. But i decided not to since becoming associate broker of my company might be a conflict of interest. I for years called for licensing of Loan officers. When we hire a new agent. I site with them give them a contract tell them to read it & ask me any questions. I also tell them that if they dont understand it that they should consult a lawyer. You should be happy your gone from that place. they probally would have screwed up your check. From the sounds of it they were in hot water internet & phones not working.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
movement
Recipes 

Aug 2008

Quote:
Thursday,today, he calls again, and leaves a message on my machine. I am not letting you resign, I am firing you, I will hold your license so you can't work in the business, and I know a lot of people in the business, and I'll make sure you never work in the business again. Calls again, and tells me to just get in here, get to work, and he will forget everything. I laughed at him.
He then told me he was going to sue me for breach of contract, and chase me for leads he purchased, and time in a seat with autodialer that didn't work, for about $5000. I laughed again.
thats my favorite part!
it sounds like a threat from a highschool kids

Old 08-30-2008, 06:38 PM   #8
stever
Recipes 

Mar 2008
St. Louis
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

sounds like someone needs a kick in the junk. Guys like that are all talk, congrats on the new job and the life lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVKTR2 View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this, but Great Cock man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
yeah, i've got big balls

Old 08-30-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
TUCK

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Kennesaw, Ga, Georgia
Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts

Wow, you should call him back and let him know you turned in your phone records and your suing him for harassment....Congrats On the new job. Good for you for not falling for his shady employee contract

Old 08-30-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
Neunelfer

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Northern California
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What a maroon. The guy really thought you would still come back and work for him even after he threatened you?

Congratulations on landing the new job, maybe it would be better to forget about the old boss... but at the same time it would be kinda fun to try to mess with his life a little.