Pickup tube for boil kettle - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Pickup tube for boil kettle

Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
its02003
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Hartford, CT

This is my current idea for a pickup tube in my boil kettle. I might actually use the same thing in my HLT, just modified a little bit since I wont need a hop screen.

The reason for the funky shape here is exactly that....a hop screen. Since the avail. of plug/leaf hops is so scarce these days, I will be forced to brew with pellets more than I would normally like.... since I have a pump and CFC setup, I would prefer not to junk those up with hop residue, so I am going to manuf. a hop screen when I get some free time. The bending of this stuff shouldn't be an issue but I was wondering if anyone had any better ideas.... I plan on connecting the tubing to a SS coupling using a brass compression fitting.

PS... I apologize for the Windows-tastic "CAD" schematic....gotta love MS Paint!!!!
I hate to sound stupid, but what is it that you are trying to sell? I'm sure I don't have one yet, but maybe I need one.
Brew Stand Pickup Tube Sight Glass Counter Flow Chiller Mash Manifold

Recipes:

Planning an Irish Red
Planning a Celebration Ale Clone

Old 08-26-2008, 04:55 AM   #2
B-Dub
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Central Coast
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I have heard guys say the pellets clog up screens sometimes. In my keggle I stir the hell out of it right at flame out and wait 20 min. Great tube pile and no hops in the fermenter. This is with a 13 gallon batch.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
billtzk
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Dallas
Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dub View Post
I have heard guys say the pellets clog up screens sometimes. In my keggle I stir the hell out of it right at flame out and wait 20 min. Great tube pile and no hops in the fermenter. This is with a 13 gallon batch.
Isn't your pickup tube sitting right in the middle of your keggle, right under the cone? How do you not it up?

Old 08-26-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
SporkD2

Recipes 

Jun 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just wrap a SS SOS pad around my pickup tube, works great

Old 08-26-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
ScubaSteve
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2007
New Bern, NC
Liked 83 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SporkD2 View Post
I just wrap a SS SOS pad around my pickup tube, works great
Do you use pellet hops and just toss them in?

Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
B-Dub
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Central Coast
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I just toss pellets in and don't use a pick up tube.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:52 PM   #7
its02003
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Hartford, CT

Are you using a keggle?

Without a pickup tube, I would assume you leave quite a bit of wort behind post-boil....

I like the idea of using an SOS type item in place of a screen. I think I might give that a shot since it should reduce the amount of bending I have to do with the SS tubing that I don't have the tools to bend!
I hate to sound stupid, but what is it that you are trying to sell? I'm sure I don't have one yet, but maybe I need one.
Brew Stand Pickup Tube Sight Glass Counter Flow Chiller Mash Manifold

Recipes:

Planning an Irish Red
Planning a Celebration Ale Clone

Old 08-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
B-Dub
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Central Coast
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I use a keggle and do leave about 1/2 gallon behind with a huge hop charge and trub.

I like the pick up tube idea...just need to make it!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Atl300zx
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Hoplanta, Georgia
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i made a screen that is nearly the size of the whole bottom. it works well. the main problem is cold break in combo with pellet hops, but you shouldnt have that issue.
Bottles: Triple Berry Apple Cider, Cote Apple Cider, Wild Blackberry Apple Cider, Dim Wit II, Mighty Porter
Kegs: 4Cs IPA - The Diamond Standard, Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Clone.
On Deck: The "Three Stouts", Wild Blackberry Mead, Irish Red

Jaded Spirits DIY Stirplate
Blog @ JadedSpirits.com
Blog @ HBT