Small town monopolies suck - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Small town monopolies suck

Old 08-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 804 Times on 510 Posts

I used to lease my CO2 bottles, but that became cost prohibitive, so I decided to just buy one. All I wanted was one 10# cylinder. So, I went to the local welding/gas shop. The clerk showed me a bunch of dusty, used cylinders and told me to pick the one I want. I asked about the price. He looked it up in a book and quoted the price at $141 for a 10# cylinder...EMPTY! I asked if that was for a new or used cylinder, and he confirmed that the price was for the used cylinders in the back. I asked if there was any way he could lower the price of a used cylinder. He didn't believe me when I told him that I've seen new cylinders for under $100. When he refused to budge on the price, I told him I had lost interest in buying. He then said, "Well, when you get one, you can have it filled here - just leave it for a COUPLE OF DAYS."

A few phone calls to beverage distributors and welding shops confirmed that the shop I visited is the only one within 150 miles capable of cylinder filling and sales. I like small towns for a lot of reasons, but I hate experiences like this!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

I'd spend the extra for a 20 pounder and double the time between visits to that place.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest

BM - that's exactly what I did. There's a brand new 20# cylinder on the way from MicroMatic. I wonder how many days it'll take these ******** to fill it. Other shops fill cylinders while you wait...for a cheaper price.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

did you try fire extinguisher shops? I spoke with a local volunteer firemen and he sent me to a place that refills while you wait and are 3 $ cheaper than the local welding supply ...

Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest

springer - the same shop is the only place in town that services fire extinguishers.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
BM - that's exactly what I did. There's a brand new 20# cylinder on the way from MicroMatic. I wonder how many days it'll take these ******** to fill it. Other shops fill cylinders while you wait...for a cheaper price.
Take comfort in the fact that by the time you have to get a refill...numb-nuts will be gone. (And maybe some competition will show up in town).

Old 08-25-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest

Competition is not likely. This place has been the only game in town since at least 1999 (the last time I lived here).

Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 PM   #8
springer

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Wappingers falls NY
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
springer - the same shop is the only place in town that services fire extinguishers.
Damn so if you use one then you need to need to leave it a few days to be refilled ... sucks if there is another fire .

Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 PM   #9
A4J
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2008
the Desert, CA
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts

Wow, I thought I lived in a small town. Here, they'll fill it up while you wait, or worst case scenario, you can come back in a couple hours and it'll be filled.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #10
purple
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I can't imagine anything like that lasting up here. Its just a bit on the lazy side unless they've got a huge list of people waiting.