Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer
Just finished brewing BierMunchers Centennial Blonde
I converted to an extract/mini mash brew. When I ordered the materials for this beer I thought all of the grains could be steeped, but I was wrong as the Carapils and Vienna were to be mashed. On the advice of a fellow HBT member I steeped the grains at 152 degrees for about an hour and then rinsed them with 170 degree water. I used about one gallon of water for this. I'm guessing this must have worked as the resulting fluid was sticky so the conversion to sugar must have been successful, correct? Everything went as planned except instead of using 5.25 pounds of extract (7 pounds of grain multiplied by .75) I used 6.6 pounds. My starting gravity was 1.056 and I lost about 1.75 gallons of wort to evaporation. My questions:
1. How will the extra LME affect the finished product?
2. Does my rate of evaporation seem a little much?
3. I realized about half way through the boil I used too much LME, should additional hops been added to offset the extra LME?
1. It'll be a little sweeter/maltier, higher abv, and a bit darker
2. This depends on a lot of things. I boil 3.5-4 gallons and top up, so it seems a bit high to me. But, if you boil a larger volume, how close to the top of your pot the level of wort was, how windy it was(if outside), etc.....
3. The additional malt deviated away from the recipe anyway, so matching it with more hops wouldn't have mattered.
Bottom line, RDWHAHB. You'll still make good beer and the finished product will be a great platform to decide what the beer needs. The stickiness of the mini-mash does indicate some starch conversion, so that part must have worked for you. If it were me I'd brew another batch today, this time true to the recipe and compare them side by side when finished.