Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Pressing Questions.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
DannyM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Pressing Questions.

Hello, I've just taken up brewing my own cider and have just pressed my first batch. I gathered up some windfalls and put them into the freezer to pulp and press when I had a good load (I thought they wouldn't go rotten like this). I also gathered a load of fresh windfalls (no more than 3 days old) and pulped and pressed these on the same day (24/08/08).

I thawed the frozed apples and pulped then. They squashed down very easily and when pressed produced a milky green juice.

The fresh windfalls were a lot harder to pulp and presed down into a brown juice. I got more juice from the frozen ones.

I ended up putting 2 campden tablets in each of the gallon jars. The brown juice seemed to go a bit cloudy and the green juice was unaffected.

Would anyone be able to tell me if freezing apples before hand will affect the end product and have I ruined it all by putting too many campden tabglets in.

Also does using very young apples have any adverse affect ?

Thanks

Old 08-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5940 Times on 4235 Posts
Likes Given: 1516

I don't have a crusher (or a press), so I freeze all of my apples and crabapples to make them easier to work with. That should be fine. I use campden tablets at the rate of one per gallon, which is about standard. If you use too much, just stir it up well to dissapate the sulfite.

I haven't used unripe apples, so I can't answer that one.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans