Hydrometers stink! - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Hydrometers stink!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #31
jchadscud
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Dallas, TX
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Drop it in the cylinder and get as close of a reading as you can. 1.054 when it is really 1.056 isn't going to cause the world to implode.

Believe me, I strive for perfection as a member of the OCD club. I'm just not going to let a small rolled up piece of paper and a glass tube rob me of the joys of brewing.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #32
HellenicHomeBrewer
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Lancaster, PA

Since this was the closest thread to address the problem I've been having, but is there anyway to help avoid/prevent the hydrometer from sticking to the sides? I use Fermtech's wine thief and the last couple of batches i have been having this issue.

Thoughts? Ideas as to how to prevent this? (I give it a great spin as i'm placing the hydrometer)

Primary #1: Vanilla Cream Stout
Primary #2: All Citra IIPA
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Bottled: Victory HopDevil Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Abbey Leffe Blonde
Keg: TBA

Old 07-09-2009, 04:07 PM   #33
HellenicHomeBrewer
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Lancaster, PA

I know threads cycle quickly here, just a little TTT during the day..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellenicHomeBrewer View Post
Since this was the closest thread to address the problem I've been having, but is there anyway to help avoid/prevent the hydrometer from sticking to the sides? I use Fermtech's wine thief and the last couple of batches i have been having this issue.

Thoughts? Ideas as to how to prevent this? (I give it a great spin as i'm placing the hydrometer)
Primary #1: Vanilla Cream Stout
Primary #2: All Citra IIPA
Secondary #1:
Secondary #2:
Bottled: Victory HopDevil Clone, Fat Tire Clone, Abbey Leffe Blonde
Keg: TBA

Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #34
carbon111
Recipes 

May 2009
Pacific NW
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
...is there anyway to help avoid/prevent the hydrometer from sticking to the sides?
Use a standing sample tube and only use the thief to transfer wort.
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #35
bellyboy2
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2009

Quote:

You could invest $2.95 in a hydrometer test jar. They have a larger diameter than the wine thief and therefore less tendency for the hydrometer to stick to the sides. One more thing to wash and uses a couple more ounces to fill but worth it IMHO.