Cider using nottingham yeast? What are your results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had mine finish and went from 1.052 to 1.000 and left mine dry, obviously, and its kinda tart. Currently im waiting for it to carb in the keg and get cold enough so in a few days hopefully I have a good product.

let me know how it cames out, when I pitched the yeast it was supsended in the carboy, kinda werid.

My first cider used Nottingham - very dry finish with no hint of a yeast or bread taste.
Like the Master, Ed Wort, says, start another batcc immediately.

The best cider I've made was with Nottingham.

It came out very apple-y, very tart and quite good. I added honey to mine though, so consider that. Even with the added sugar it only came out about 8% ABV.

Quite tasty though. I plan on repeating it.

Notty will do great things with any sugar you give it to eat. I love it for all my brewing needs.

I use it all the time. Crisp, dry and refreshing. Careful, having more then a few has been described as having your head bashed in by a slice of apple wrapped around a large gold brick.:D

I use it all the time. Crisp, dry and refreshing. Careful, having more then a few has been described as having your head bashed in by a slice of apple wrapped around a large gold brick.:D

You can wake up in the morning feeling like the recipient of a mugging (but it's much cheaper).

Forty two.

Nottingham has no flavor profile. It dries a cider out like your head will feel the next day.

I"m three weeks in and now in secondary ferm with Notti and fresh pressed juice. Really can't stand the smell of it. Smells like beer (and I hate beer). I realize it's an ale yeast but will that settle over time? Also not a fan of yeast flavor either. thanks

I got a lot of peach from it, fermented cool around 55-60 F. If fermenting at room temperature then you should be just fine. The yeast will settle over time. If you want to accelerate the settling of yeast, add gelatin, which will knock it right out in about 24-48 hours flat every time.

crisp dry and an abv that will wreck someone not expecting it.

I'm brewing some now. I read CvilleKevin's epic experiments thread and I plan on cold crashing before it's totally dry. Sounds like no matter what yeast you use, if you let it ferment out there won't be much of an apple taste.

I don't trust that I'll be able to completely stop fermentation since I've never done this before, so my plan is to put the fermenter in the fridge, transfer it to swing-top bottles after 24 hours, and leave them refrigerated until drinking.

I am about to bottle my first batch made with Nottingham Ale yeast - Lallemand brand.

So far it tastes great - no smell like you get off Champagne Yeast and it didn't ferment totally dry, either.

Like I said, so far it's my favorite cider but I'll update when I bottle and carb it. My least favorite has been White Labs English Cider. Too sweet a finish for me.

I fermented around 65-68 tops. Don't like it's smell or flavour but back sweetened it and it totally changed it! I can taste apple and it's very mellow flavour over all. Surprised

Latest posts

Back