Changes in my life - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Changes in my life

Old 08-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7724 Times on 5425 Posts

Well, today is the day! I'm having so many mixed feelings- excitement mixed with sadness mostly. My only daughter (my oldest child) is gone to college. It's so hard- this is my partner in cribbage and gin, as well as my friend and musical-watching buddy. She LOVES West Side Story and Gigi almost as much as I do. I'm so excited for her, but OMG do I miss her already.

She's been so important in my life for nearly 19 years and this is a big adjustment for me. The good news is that she's not too far away, and we will have lunch a couple of times before Christmas break. She also took way too much stuff (but not her winter coat or boots), so I will be seeing her soon to take her some needed items and pick up unneeded items.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #2

If that small pile of stuff is all she took, you'll be seeing her REALLY soon. Not to worry, Yoop!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Congrats Yoop!
....looks like you've got yourself a good one there. Best of luck to her.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7724 Times on 5425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
If that small pile of stuff is all she took, you'll be seeing her REALLY soon. Not to worry, Yoop!
Um, NO. That is the stuff that didn't fit in her Dad's pick up truck.

Thanks, BK for the nice words. Even though I dyed my hair dark a few weeks ago, I noticed just now that we still look quite a bit alike in that picture. Same slouch, same head tilt, same mannerisms. She's a great kid. She already has plans for this weekend at school (one is a canoe trip) with Campus Crusade for Christ. She's been on 3 mission trips and is hoping to be an elementary teacher on the mission field, particularly in Latin America.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Mar 2006
Sierra Vista, AZ
Liked 53 Times on 41 Posts

Did you bottle up a few cases of beer for her? Don't want her drinking swill at college you know.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 523 Times on 420 Posts

What?! You didn't send her off with a couple of full cornies? How do you expect her to make any friends?

From everything you've told us over the years, it sounds like you've done a great job at raising a really good kid. Best of luck to her, I'm sure she'll do great, and I'm sure she'll be back soon enough (lugging all of those bags, filled with dirty laundry).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Awww Yoop...I know you have mixed feelings..Proud that she's going away to college, and said that she's not going to be a daily presence in your life.

I take it you didn't drive here, since you are here...so that means you can get druck and start measuring her bedroom for your new brewery

Seriously though, you'll both be fine, if you have a great relationship full of mutual love and respect now (which it sounds like you do) then you'll have an even better relationship, as she matures and become more independant. As one facet of your relationship closes another one opens...but the love is constant.

You'll just have more things to talk about now!

Hey did you notice that you two tilt your heads in the exact same way when you pose for pictures??? It's uncanny...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Nov 2007
East Dundee, Illinois
Liked 53 Times on 48 Posts

Hey Yoop, congrats and condolences I know it must be hard but that is just great she is getting out on her own and into school. I'm also very glad to see she is getting into Campus Crusades. I was in a different college ministry but those groups really help you stay on the right track through college.

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 08-21-2008, 01:52 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7412 Times on 6080 Posts

Gigi? Really? So you are the only ones who watched that film eh? That is sadder than your girl ofta' college.

Ahhhh college days. I think I remember those.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:02 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

On the plus side, one fewer people to share the dog with.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk