Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Too Much Air @ Bottling, need opinions!
Old 03-29-2006, 02:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Likes Given: 2

Default Too Much Air @ Bottling, need opinions!

I just bottled my blueberry today and I ran into some problems. The blueberries were smaller than the racking cane/tube and even the little protector thing at the end of my racking cane. The blueberries kept getting caught in there and, despite my many efforts, I could not get the flow into my bottling bucket.

I ended up having to, gasp, strain the beer from my secondary into my bottling bucket. This, obviously, created a crap load of aeration. I waited about 15 minutes and then bottled as normal. The beer looks ok, however, I wonder if my bottles will turn into bombs or my beer will be spoiled. Anybody have any news, good or bad, for me?

"All other nations are drinking Ray Charles beer and we are drinking Barry Manilow."
Old 03-29-2006, 02:32 AM   #2
Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

well, your bottles shouldn't explode since bottle bombs aren't caused by aeration...
it might go stale a little faster than usual, but i'd bet that you don't have too much to worry about if you just drink it after you age it for a few weeks, i.e. don't age it for 6 months.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:37 AM   #3
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Similar things have happened to me in the past, without noticeable consequences. Once one of the joins on my siphon wouldn't seal properly, and I had bubbles streaming through the tube throughout bottling. That turned out to be quite a nice beer though.

Relax and have a homebrew.
Primary: Empty
Secondary: King Willie Wheatie

Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)
Old 03-30-2006, 02:54 AM   #4
Liked 120 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As long as your fermentation is complete and you do not overprime you should be safe as far as the grenades are concerned.
HB Bill
Old 03-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Same here. My first brew I had a bunch of air get in through an air leak I had a hard time solving - finally had to go get a hose clamp and later found I had gotten a bad batch of hose.
Nothing bad happened and it was drank up over a two month period of time.

Jerry Pritchett
KopyKat Brewery

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition