Does time fix fusel? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Does time fix fusel?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Pete08
Recipes 

Jul 2008
SW Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My fement temps got too high, seems like a theme here, and when sampled, my Christmas Ale had an alcohol zing to it. Will time fix this?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Time Heals all.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Read this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=73254

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-19-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
Pete08
Recipes 

Jul 2008
SW Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, so it could be okay by Christmas? The alcohol burn was there, followed by a pronounced cinnamon taste. I steeped with four cinn. sticks, although I'm sure it is fusel.

Revvy, you were quicker in the draw, so it might need more time than a couple months, oh well, I guess I can do another while this heals.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
elkdog
Recipes 

May 2007
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It'll probably be tasty by Christmas.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete08 View Post
Thanks, so it could be okay by Christmas? The alcohol burn was there, followed by a pronounced cinnamon taste. I steeped with four cinn. sticks, although I'm sure it is fusel.
Since we're dealing with a living product, there's no definite answer as to how long...the several months til Christmas will do wonders.

(Have you had someone else with more experience diagnos your beer's condition? Quite a lot of new brewer's self diagnosis tend to be wrong, and nothing more than green beer.)

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #7
Pete08
Recipes 

Jul 2008
SW Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Since we're dealing with a living product, there's no definite answer as to how long...the several months til Christmas will do wonders.

(Have you had someone else with more experience diagnos your beer's condition? Quite a lot of new brewer's self diagnosis tend to be wrong, and nothing more than green beer.)
No I haven't. First, some disclosure. I brewed this last Thursday, the 14th. It had a SG of 1.066, and yesterday evening it was 1.014 ( know, very young).

5 lbs light lme
3 lbs amber dme
1.75 lbs Munich steepd
.5 Crystal 80L steeped
.25 Chocolate steeped

5 cinnamon sticks 5 min. boil
2 oz fresh grated ginger 5 min boil (I didn't weigh it, so it was probably closer to 2 oz on retrospect). D'oh!!
2 oz orange peel 15 min boil

During the ferment, the vapors coming out of the airlock was annoying to the nose. I wondering know if it isn't the ginger/cinnamon. I hope I didn't overdue it on the ginger. If so, it will hopefully mellow.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
HomerT
Recipes 

Sep 2005
Wixom, MI
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well, i had an Irish Red that fermented in the high 70s....it produced horrible fusel notes. Over a year later, it was still bad. Its the only dumper batch I ever brewed.

Sounds like others have had better luck than me. Hope you fall on their side!

-TOdd

Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Nebraska
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts

AFAIK fusels do NOT age out.

but, I've never had fusel formation so I can't speak from experience. I want your beer to be tastey though!
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 08-20-2008, 01:46 AM   #10
Pete08
Recipes 

Jul 2008
SW Oregon
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

I pulled about 6 ounces and tasted it and believe it is the ginger and cinnamon that gave me the "hot" taste. I assumed, due to the higher temp, that it was fusel. Of course, this is a horse of a different color. I think the spices will settle down.