Clean Plastic Fermentor with Soap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickhouse80

Reaction score
I've just bottled my first batch ever. I used a Brewers Best Kit and I'm wondering if it will hurt to wash my plastic fermentor and bottling bucket with soap and water. I assume it won't hurt to wash my glass carboy with soap and water. There is a brown film in these fermentors and I just want my equipment to be clean until my next batch (which will be coming soon because this was an incredible experience!!) Thanks

Soap and water will work. An oxyclean soak works wonders on stuck on residue.

I would suggest NOT using just regular dish type soap. This will leave a residue that can impact the head retention qualities of your beers. Use something like Oxyclean, One Step cleaner, and many others.

I would suggest NOT using just regular dish type soap. This will leave a residue that can impact the head retention qualities of your beers. Use something like Oxyclean, One Step cleaner, and many others.

Thanks for the back-up Kilted. Don't use regular soap and rinse well regardless of what you use. Sorry about the bad info.

I use oxyclean and warm water...and usually soak overnight. The fizzy breaks even the toughest krauzen rings...You never have to scrub, just rinse thoroughly after.

Back