Kegerator I built (freezer conversion) - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Home Brewing Photo Forum > Kegerator I built (freezer conversion)
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
buckwheat6105
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8

I bought a beat up freezer off of ebay for $20 to convert into a kegerator. Not wanting to spend a lot of money, i had some extra lumber at the house and started framing it up.

I had it framed and painted within two days.

Another couple of days to apply the two coats of epoxy (bar top) and a day later I installed an old tower that I had laying around.

Ordered a regulator and some tubing and I'll be in business this weekend.....

Geaux Tigers!





 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,849
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6


WOAH!!!
WTF????

Bud Light in A Keezer?


You Sir....are a communist!

But A Communist with a Kick Ass Keezer.


__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #3
mmb
Jazz Hands!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mmb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WBMI
Posts: 29,539
Liked 3863 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 358


Nice work on the epoxy. I'm looking at something similar for my bar top.

Is that a 1/2bbl or 1/4bbl? I struggled to get a 1/2bbl into my bar and I only have a 10" lift to get it in the door. Hoisting a 1/2bbl up into a keezer would have put me out for good!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
buckwheat6105
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb View Post
Nice work on the epoxy. I'm looking at something similar for my bar top.

Is that a 1/2bbl or 1/4bbl? I struggled to get a 1/2bbl into my bar and I only have a 10" lift to get it in the door. Hoisting a 1/2bbl up into a keezer would have put me out for good!

It's a 1/2bbl....but an empty one :-(

I only put it int here because after all the work I did on the bar, i got a little nervous Saturday night - I forgot to put a barrel in there to see if it would even fit (the freezer is not that deep at all). Lucky for me, it barely fits.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #5
mmb
Jazz Hands!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mmb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: WBMI
Posts: 29,539
Liked 3863 Times on 3651 Posts
Likes Given: 358


Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat6105 View Post
It's a 1/2bbl....but an empty one :-(

I only put it int here because after all the work I did on the bar, i got a little nervous Saturday night - I forgot to put a barrel in there to see if it would even fit (the freezer is not that deep at all). Lucky for me, it barely fits.
Remember, that with a standard sanke tap with the beer line coming off the top you need another 5 - 6 inches above the skirt of the keg. You don't want to kink the beer line as that would cause foaming.



http://www.micromatic.com/beer-quest...le-aid-11.html
__________________
White Dog Aleworks and Drafthouse

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Badger39
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16

Probably a dumb question, but where did you get that epoxy top. Im looking in to building something similar and Id love to have a UW Badger top. Thanks in advance.

By the way, your keezer looks very good.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Badger39
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 16

What I should have asked, is what did you use (the LSU sign) under the epoxy that turned out so well. Is that a poster, etc?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
buckwheat6105
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger39 View Post
Probably a dumb question, but where did you get that epoxy top. Im looking in to building something similar and Id love to have a UW Badger top. Thanks in advance.

By the way, your keezer looks very good.
Thank you sir....

It was a two part epoxy that you can buy @ Home Depot....you can find it where they sell wood stains (comes in a cardboard box).

Real easy to use....mix it togeter, pour it on the top, spread it around with squeegge and then you're good to go. Bubbles may appear after speading it around, but you can use a hair dryer to blow them out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
buckwheat6105
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger39 View Post
What I should have asked, is what did you use (the LSU sign) under the epoxy that turned out so well. Is that a poster, etc?
Sticker that i purchased at a local retailer.

With the epoxy, you can put anything you want under it...pictures, beer labels, coasters, etc.....

Oddly enough, I got the idea from an episode of MTV's "Pimp My Ride." They fabricated a floor in a van with this stuff and under the epoxy they placed a bunch of records...looked pretty cool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
tmoney1224
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 246
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by buckwheat6105 View Post
Sticker that i purchased at a local retailer.

With the epoxy, you can put anything you want under it...pictures, beer labels, coasters, etc.....

Oddly enough, I got the idea from an episode of MTV's "Pimp My Ride." They fabricated a floor in a van with this stuff and under the epoxy they placed a bunch of records...looked pretty cool.
Maybe a stupid question, but could you do something like this on the side of the freezer as well?


__________________
Standing Eight Brewing
Always up for another round

Primary 1: Milk Stout
Primary 2: Fizzy Yellow Beer
Primary 3: Boulevard Wheat with a twist
Planning: 1554 Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chest Freezer Kegerator Conversion Project Bobby_M Bottling/Kegging 56 02-25-2011 04:15 PM
Chest Freezer Conversion to Kegerator - Need Help Atl300zx Kegerators and Keezers 11 10-30-2009 09:18 PM
Kegerator conversion from mini upright freezer humann_brewing Equipment/Sanitation 4 10-29-2008 07:30 PM
What's a fair price on a chest freezer kegerator conversion? NitrouStang96 Bottling/Kegging 6 03-07-2008 07:43 PM
Want a built in/undercounter Kegerator Big "A" Bottling/Kegging 8 06-29-2007 01:49 PM


Forum Jump