Should I bottle it now or give it another week - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Should I bottle it now or give it another week

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
dataz722's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2007
Middletown, De
Posts: 37,062
Liked 3061 Times on 3003 Posts



I have an american wheat that I brewed 2 weeks ago but it has some serious temperature issues while fermenting getting into the high 80's. I need to have this beer ready in 3 weeks and I would like to give it time to mellow out a little bit more but I am afraid that it would be carbed in time if I dont bottle now. What is everyone's opion? Should I bottle now or give it another week and hope it carbs in 2 weeks?


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Sorry, I am sworn as a mod to disagree with the above statement. But as a rational person, I do agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 68,995
Liked 7594 Times on 5344 Posts


It doesn't matter. If you want to drink it when it's five weeks old, it'll still be only five weeks old whether it's bottled today or next week. Aging it on the yeast cake vs. in the bottle doesn't really matter, after it's been in primary for a couple of weeks. The yeast has done its work, and the only thing it needs now is time.


__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
BigKahuna
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
BigKahuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Posts: 5,971
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts


When in Doubt....Wait it out.
__________________
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
johnsma22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
johnsma22's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Posts: 1,963
Liked 78 Times on 59 Posts


Like Yoop said, if you need to have it ready in three weeks it doesn't really matter. It will only be five weeks old at that point regardless of whether you bottle it now or wait another week. The only thing waiting another week will do is possibly make it weak on carbonation.

If you're intent on having this beer ready to drink in three weeks I would bottle it now.
__________________
Cheers,
John


 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #5
Moonpile
 
Moonpile's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
Pasadena, MD
Posts: 668

If you had the temperature problems you think you had, leaving it on the cake isn't going to make it enough less of a banana bomb to matter. On the other hand, I've NEVER had a problem getting a wheat beer with a slowly floccing yeast to carb, with some of them being ready in as little as two or three days, though to be fair those beers were better 7 to 10 days into carbing. So if you used such a yeast, I suggest you split the diff and leave it on the cake one more week and bottle two weeks before the event. That'll be plenty of time for them to carb and at least give the cake a chance to clean up a bit of the banana.

If it were any other kind of yeast, I'd say bottle now to give it the maximum chance of carbing well in time.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
One week in the bottle. bsruther Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 03-25-2009 01:22 AM
Going To Bottle Next Week Don "Ho" Mead Forum 8 03-12-2008 10:51 PM
Give-away 2 ltr pop bottle question RangerG Bottling/Kegging 4 11-22-2007 05:41 AM
Give up & bottle?! veggiess Extract Brewing 8 09-04-2006 04:54 AM
Bottle this week or next week? waskelton4 General Techniques 3 04-29-2006 02:37 PM


Forum Jump