Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Commercial Brew Discussion > Historic Ales
Old 08-16-2008, 08:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Historic Ales

I bought this 4 pack of "historic ales from Scotland" and I thought, for the most part they were very good. I know most of the time when people brew these they are at least disappointed and I don't think I've read a thread of people brewing them again.
The box come with a sheet on them, and I thought it'd be very useful to people wanting to brew these. I took a picture of the paper and thought I'd share my tasting notes.

First, well one is missing ( I don't know what i did with the bottle.) The beers included in the pack are: gooseberry wheat ale, scots pine ale, heather ale, and elderberry black ale
The wheat is very much like any other wheat ale flavored with a fruit. In this case gooseberries. The mouth feel has a very silkiness to it.
The pine ale was my favorite, a bit of pine treeiness if you will by flavored very well all around. Had some fruitiness going on as well, but I couldn't identify what fruit.
The heather ale, well it tasted like your generic very low hopped pale ale if you will, not much going on there, but very drinkable.
The elderberry black ale has subtle hints of coffee and toasted nuts, and also had the fruity thing going again, very sweet, not entirely balanced.

Here are the pictures of the pamphlet that it came with to help out anyone who would like to reproduce these:

I've got the back side as well, which is basically more information from a historical standpoint if anyone would like to see those as well.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
For the love of beer!
Liked 90 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Good buy!!!

I've looked at these and thought about trying to replicate them.
Have a beer on me.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Liked 2911 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 3534

I've considered getting them and giving them a try myself...Thanks for the notes.
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew