Vienna Lager Viva Vienna Lager!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacklab

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale 05
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days at 40
Additional Fermentation
nope
Tasting Notes
Yum.
[size=+2]Viva Vienna Lager![/size]
[size=+1]3-A Vienna Lager[/size]

07.jpg

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 157.03 per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.047 (1.046 - 1.052)
|===========#====================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.014)
|===============#================|
Color: 7.6 (10.0 - 16.0)
|=#==============================|
Alcohol: 4.64% (4.5% - 5.7%)
|=========#======================|
Bitterness: 24.44 (18.0 - 30.0)
|================#===============|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
9.0 lbs Vienna Malt
1.0 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
0.25 lbs Cara-Pils® Malt
1 oz Glacier (8.5%) - added first wort, boiled 60 min
.5 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
.5 oz Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled .1 min
2 ea Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes. I let this cold condition in the fridge for three weeks before trying a pint. It was OK and drinkable at three weeks. At two months(pictured below), it is excellent. It's maltier than your typical Negra Modelo but very crisp and refreshing. I was originally going to use SF lager yeast, but didn't get it together by brewday, so just used the 05. Next time I would eliminate the carapils as recommended by the_bird, for greater attenuation. However, even with the cara malts, it cleared up very nicely, probably due to the extended cold conditioning. SWMBO and my buddies really liked it - I hope you do as well.

Cell pic, but you get the idea:
vienna_lager.jpg

Looks tasty...I haven't done a lager yet, but this looks like a good candidate for my first! Question though...I do not keg (yet). Did you keg this or bottle it? And if you bottled it, did you pitch some extra dry yeast at bottling time?

I cold condition in the corny and force carb - so no bottling. However, when I do bottle cold conditioned beers I've never added yeast back. Just add priming sugar as necessary - there are still yeast in suspension.

In terms of lagering...this is pretty easy as it's not really a lager, and if you do use the SF Lager yeast(or high attenuation ale yeast), you don't need to go through all of the lager temperature stepping. This one ferments quick like an ale. The cold conditioning is just for aging and clarity. My goal was to fool people into thinking I lagered it.

Just pulled the first glass from my first keg (ever). This is the beer I put in the keg. Tastes great, but hasn't clarified yet. I have only let it cold condition for about a week so far. I couldn't resist putting the picnic tap on the keg to see how the beer is progressing. It is quite tasty already!

Just pulled the first glass from my first keg (ever). This is the beer I put in the keg. Tastes great, but hasn't clarified yet. I have only let it cold condition for about a week so far. I couldn't resist putting the picnic tap on the keg to see how the beer is progressing. It is quite tasty already!

This stuff will get clear as a bell in time. Glad you're enjoying it!

Back