I brewed up another batch today. It was supposed to be a Hefewiesen like Wienstephan.
The previous batch is still in the primary, I'll rack to bottles sometime soon.
Here's the Brew Smith:
Brewer: Brewby, my beer
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Actual OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 8.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 10.9 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.60 lb Wheat Liquid Extract (10.0 SRM) Extract 100.0 %
0.75 oz Hallertauer [3.20%] (60 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
0.69 oz Hallertauer [3.20%] (30 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat
It went into the primary at about 12:30-1:00pm. At 9pm when I got home, there was plenty of airlock activity and lots of froth in the carboy.
I tried to follow the procedures that I set up in the previous post and it all worked out, for the most part.
I used the turkey cooker. I had one small boil over. It took me a little while to get use to cooking with the turkey cooker but I think I've worked it out now. I was follow in a recipe but I messed up when figuring out the hops. The recipe called for .75oz of hallertauer hops. I put this in at the start of the boil. Then I was reading another post which suggested not thinking about the volume of the hops but the AAU's. When I did this I found with the 3.2% of the hops I didn't put enough in. I decided to make up for it by putting more in, but I waited until 30min into the boil.
I didn't follow the recipe correctly regarding the hops, so I'm not sure how it's going to come out. I think it will be fine, I'm just wondering if it will come out like a Wienstephan hefe or not.
When I do the math, I get:
((.75oz hops x 3.2%) x .3) + ((.69oz hops x 3.2%) x .21) = 1.183 isomerized AAU's
(1.183 / 5gal) = .2366 iaa per gal.
.2366 x .01335 = 17.72 IUB'S
((6.6lb LME x 34dpp) / 5gal) = 44.88 or 1.044 OG
The actual OG that I took was about 1.043
I hope my adding the extra hops at 30min didn't change the style too much.