Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Finally getting back

Old 03-26-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 25 Posts

Default Finally getting back

As part of my gradual return to brewing, I finally got around to bottling the Boom-Boom vanilla that I brewed in like December. I never even had time to rack to secondary, so I figured that after all that time, I could go from primary to bottle without taste problems. I ended up using light DME, powder sugar and honey for priming (ran out of DME) and 4oz of vanilla. For ****s and giggles, I even dumped in 2oz of Maker's Mark since I used Bourbon Vanilla.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 03-29-2006, 09:29 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Cheese... did you have any rubbery (autolysis) flavors in that batch? SOunds like it sat on the trub for 3+ months, so this might be a good referece for those that want to know how long you can primary a beer.

-walker

Old 03-30-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Walker
Cheese... did you have any rubbery (autolysis) flavors in that batch? SOunds like it sat on the trub for 3+ months, so this might be a good referece for those that want to know how long you can primary a beer.

-walker
Walker, that's an excellent point. I haven't detected any in the flat beer, but remember that I dumped in four oz of vanilla extract and some Maker's Mark prior to bottling.

I'll let you know in another couple of days, when it's primed for a week and is ready for its inaugral run.

I'm trying to make my return to brewing.
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:49 AM   #4
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
I'm trying to make my return to brewing.
Under four months...that's really very good time!
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

We've got the best baby in the world. Rarely cries, loves to hang out, and just a joy to be around. He'll make a fine assistant brew-master.

Cool Shirts.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood
We've got the best baby in the world. Rarely cries, loves to hang out, and just a joy to be around. He'll make a fine assistant brew-master.
Talk about nepotism! Most assistant brewmasters start out as assistants to the janatorial staff before even thinking about becoming journeymen.

There is that possibility he'll have loads of experience on a bottle though (you dirtied them, you clean them!).

Old 03-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #7
Cheesefood
Recipes 

My hope is that he'll take an interest in watching his Dad make the beer. He'll see how much time and effort goes into making a fine beeer. He'll notice that, after months of work, the end product is something you want to savor...something worth keeping around for a while, not something to be polished off in a single weekend.

I think I respect alcohol a lot more now that I make it. It's no longer about getting drunk, it's about enjoying the flavor of the drink. I want him to think of beer as more than a means to an end. It's not "get drunk juice" like Bud and Miller position themselves, it's "Savor and Enjoy".

And if he decides he wants to brew later on in life, I'd be thrilled if he dusted off my notebook and made my recipes. I keep having this vision of my grandchildren or great-grandchildren - long after I'm dead - going through an attic, finding my recipes and brewing them to reconnect with long-lost grandpa. Just my way of living forever, I guess.

Cool Shirts.

Old 03-30-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Cheesefood
Recipes 

p.s.

Cool Shirts.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

*sniff, sniff*

Touching, cheese.

I hear ya though, I wish I had a boy to learn the ropes wth me. My girls roll their eyes after every statement I make about beer. Maybe someday they will understand.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude
*sniff, sniff*

Touching, cheese.

I hear ya though, I wish I had a boy to learn the ropes wth me. My girls roll their eyes after every statement I make about beer. Maybe someday they will understand.

Gender doesn't matter. Either they find it interesting or they don't. my two boys won't have anything to do with brewing. "It STINKS, Dad!"
I don't keep a notebook anymore, it's all on the computer. Maybe I should at least burn it onto CD so someday someone can see it, if they can still find a way to use computers as we know them. What we use now will probably have gone the way of the LP by then. (Dad, what's a record?)

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett