efficiency and grain bill, should I cut back? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > efficiency and grain bill, should I cut back?

Old 08-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
Seawolf

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Alexandria, VA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been hitting between 80-84% efficiency, and overshooting the crap out of my OG. Most recipes are aimed at 70% efficiency, and my ABV has of course been way higher than expected due to better sugar conversion in the mash. Should I cut back my grain bill? modify my crush? I feel pretty dumb for asking, because it seems pretty logical to just cut back the grain bill, but everyone gets so excited about high efficiency, so I'm not sure if I should just leave it alone, or what?!

It's early and I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, thus the rambling.

Thanks,
Zach
Conditioning - Chimay Red, Imperial American Pale Ale, Independence Pale Ale V2.0, Belgian Wit
Kegged - Bluebird Bitter

Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Liked 1664 Times on 1075 Posts

The excitement of high efficiency is precisely because you can cut back on your grain bill and still acheive the desired OG. I just enter any recipe into beer tools pro with the efficiency set at the author's assumption, then I scale the ingredients based on my known efficiency.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7742 Times on 5432 Posts

Well, if you're following someone else's recipe (like in BYO- I think they are set up for 70% efficiency), and you want to hit the OG and the IBUs they have, then yes, just adjust the grain bill. I do that with others' recipes, but my efficiency is bad, so I have to adjust my grains UP!