Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > So I take out tons of trash to the dumpster...

Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #21
brauhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

dumpsters have warning and such all over them, but that doesn't mean people are going to follow them... i think most of the warning just say that the dumpster isn't a play area and I'm sure it's just enough legal jargon on there so that if they dump a person into the trash truck and mash them up into pieces it doesn't hold the trash company or it's employees liable.

unless they are really "harming" anyone, i'd leave it go... just putting the shoes on from your standpoint, yes having people root through the dumpsters outside of my place would cheese me off and I agree that it's annoying and makes you think, "WTF ARE YOU DOING?"

then again, maybe they are dumpster diving b/c they have no choice.

we've gotten a few nice pieces of furniture from people moving out of our townhouse complex, you wouldn't believe the stuff they trash.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #22
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

if we're listing dumpster finds, the bars, cranks, tires, pedals, shifters, derailleurs, seat, and sprockets on my bicycle all came from a dumpster. and this wasn't junk, the seat is around $120 the cranks around $300 the shifters as a set around $350 I think. But all this stuff came from a really high end bike store that caters to ridiculously wealthy people who treat a bike as a status symbol and only care about having the most expensive parts.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #23
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

The last place I lived, it was illegal to trash-pick. We had separate cans for recyclables. Garbage pickup was contracted to private companies, but the cops backed them up.

In Oregon, putting your trash in someone else's bin is "Theft of services". Taking stuff out is equally illegal. most cities.

The real issues are timing, noise & making a mess.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #24
Qdog
Recipes 

that sounds like last night at my place. Me and the Liquid Hero team were out cleaning some cornies and then making some Applewine. While doing this we consumed proper amounts of cheap american beer(name not to be mentioned, but I cant wait until we start drinking our own suds). I put my recycling bin out and minutes later the "scavengers" as I call them were up looking at us and staring at our carboys and cornies that were sitting out on my driveway like there were freaking gold. I feel bad to some degree but at the same point i would rather they not drive around my area. Maybe its the fact that my recycling bin is usually overflowing with beer can/bottles.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #25
BADS197
Recipes 

An update..

I went to pickup my gf from the train station and when we got back, everything EVERYTHING i tossed in that nasty azz dumpster is gone.

I should have just carried it to their apartment for them and saved them the effort of crawling in and liberating all the useless crap. I'm not joking when I say it was trash...
I kept the usefull trash and it's still sitting on my deck. I have one BMX bike from 1999 that a buddy gave me and I already have 4 more sitting in my spare room. I'm going to give it away along with the clothes sitting here on the floor I no longer fit in. However they are going to be given to either homeless shelter or good will. Not the dumpster divers of Santa Clarita.

The next time I dump stuff I'm going to pour old motor oil over the stuff.

BTW: the apartments we are living in are 1400$/month... so they aren't cheap.

Bottled
Pumpkin Ale
Faw-Kin Hevy Scotch Ale
Slam Dunkelweizen
GPC American Ale
Not-October Octoberfest Ale

Primary
English Pale Ale
Secondary

Keg
#1 2.5g - Faw-kin Hevy Scotch Ale
#2 2.5g - Nut Brown Ale

Next
American Amber
English Pale

Old 08-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #26
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If someone can get more mileage out of your discarded stuff, why shouldn't they? I have no issue with that. Having spent some time in Australia in remote Aboriginal communities taught me a lot about stretching material goods to their very end, when both resources and money are hard to come by. We're entirely too wasteful in this country.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #27
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts

As long as it's respectful and they clean up after themselves, I wouldn't mind.

My big worry would be identity theft. There are people who go through trash looking for bills, receipts, statements, etc. looking to get the information they need to perpetrate identity theft. When I was a teenager, I knew a kid who was an l337 hacker who would dumpster dive into store dumpsters and get all the carbon copies of the old credit cards. I don't think he ever used them, he just bragged that he had done it. That's why I have a shredder!

Old 08-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #28
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADS197 View Post
An update..

I went to pickup my gf from the train station and when we got back, everything EVERYTHING i tossed in that nasty azz dumpster is gone.

I should have just carried it to their apartment for them and saved them the effort of crawling in and liberating all the useless crap. I'm not joking when I say it was trash...
I kept the usefull trash and it's still sitting on my deck. I have one BMX bike from 1999 that a buddy gave me and I already have 4 more sitting in my spare room. I'm going to give it away along with the clothes sitting here on the floor I no longer fit in. However they are going to be given to either homeless shelter or good will. Not the dumpster divers of Santa Clarita.

The next time I dump stuff I'm going to pour old motor oil over the stuff.

BTW: the apartments we are living in are 1400$/month... so they aren't cheap.
WTF? Why would you pour motor oil over it? What inconvenience are these guys causing you? I mean, the only problem I could see would be identity theft as orpheus mentions, but that's on YOU...it's your responsibility to shred sensitive stuff, because dumpster diving is always a danger. Past that, unless they're making a mess and/or causing a big racket, I see no reason why you should have a problem with them re-using your trash.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-14-2008, 04:07 PM   #29
Melana
Up to no good....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1885 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 1124

We have a few people in our city that go around looking for returnable bottles and cans. They have blocked both myself and my neighbor into our driveways on seperate occasions while sifting through our recycling bins. I dislike them because they are rude but i am always nice to them.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #30
NWernBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sensitive stuff = wood burning stove.

Dumpster diving = less landfill

I got a 1973 Fender Rhodes 77 key analog electric piano in very nice condition out of a dumpster. Sealed case with all the legs. Only work was replacing a couple of dampers and retuning the forks. If there is no harm then there really is no foul.

Strewing stuff all over the place is cause for action though.