Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > using spraymalt with thomas coopers pilsener

Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
adfg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default using spraymalt with thomas coopers pilsener

so i had heard people talking only good things about wheat beer, but i also wanted to first try to brew pilsener.. so i ordered thomas coopers pilsener extract kit and i tought that if i´d use spray malt (wheat 55% barley 45%) and replace half of the additional sugar with it i´d really have good wheat-barley pilsener.. so am i about to **** it up or what do you think ? this is by the way my first batch of beer.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My advice on first Kit batches is to brew it the way the guy who designed the recipe intended. Then if you feel that you can improve it make your changes that way you will have a baseline to compare to when you talk to others who have brewed the kit.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
Boston Brew Guy
Recipes 

Normally I would agree that it should be brewed following the directions, but not if the directions call for dumping in table sugar. If I were the OP I would substitute a malt for the sugar. I dont have any experience with wheat, but it sounds interesting.
Bottled: Wicked Black Porter

Here's to alcohol, the cause of—and solution to—all of life's problems.
- Homer Simpson

Old 08-14-2008, 03:43 PM   #4
adfg
Recipes 

yeah i tought so that using malt would result in a lot better beer than just table sugar, and i didn´t believe that using also wheat in pilsener would make a dramatic difference (?). offcourse this is my first time brewing so i wouldn´t know for sure.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #5
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Only one way to find out and thats to brew it. Just to let you know coopers makes a nice wheat kit - I have made it a few times - it is nice and light and sweet if you like that kind of thing. Also as for he malt i usually substitute some malt for sugar when making those kits. Use brewing sugar (dextrose AKA cornsugar) instead of table sugar - im sure whatever you do it will turn out good - eventually yo will find the right balance to find the exact style you like.

Cheers

Old 08-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
adfg
Recipes 

i actually happen to have about 1 kilo of brewery sugar (grape sugar- glucose) will that do? also does the extract allready have hops or do i have to add it?

Old 08-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

ADFQ: Im quite sure glucose is a-ok to use. Don worry about the hops - they are allready in the can of thomas coopers pilsner.

All you have to do is heat up some hot water on the stove in a big pot - dump in your sugar and spray malt in and stir til it is dissolved - then add your can of coopers pilsner mix i all together til its disolved. Once it is all mised good dump it in your primary bucket - fil it up to he 23 liter mark with cold water - stir - sprinkle the package of yeast on top - stir - put the top on - your done. Dont boil the ingredients - it has been suggested that by boiling that you can kill the hop content. They are called no boil kits for a reason - cheers

Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
adfg
Recipes 

thanks mate. storing shouldn´t be too hard since its allready pretty cool fall in finland.
Edit: whats wrong with table sugar? it changes to dextrose before fermenting right? it would just make the process of fermenting a bit longer..

Old 08-15-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
grasshopper1917
Recipes 

Table sugar will give it a cidery sort of taste - im not sure exactly the science behind it. If ya like cidery go for it - but many moons ago i used table sugar instead of brewing sugar and it didnt turn out the best

Right now I have a batch of coopers real ale brewing away - good stuff

Cheers

Old 08-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
adfg
Recipes 

i pitched the yeast day before yesterday and it seems to be fermenting quite good . smell seems ok to me but then again im just a first timer. it had a bit some dark brown stuff on the foam but i scooped most of it away, hope its not some sort of mold infection