Johnny Jump Up Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summersolstice

Reaction score
This is a sparkling cider I've been making for a couple of years that I really enjoy. It's a tart dry cider with a nice bite to it. It ferments dry to about 10.5%.

6 gallon recipe

6 gallons apple juice (cheapest I can find w/o preservatives)
one can Welch's White Grape concentrate
6 cups brown sugar
6 cups white cane sugar
10t tartaric or malic acid
6t pectic enzyme
3t tannin
6t yeast nutrient

Premier Cuvee yeast

OG 1.080
FG .998

Mix ingredients and keep in primary one week. Rack to secondary, leaving most of the gross lees behind. After two more weeks, rack onto 5 oz priming sugar and bottle in crown caps or swing tops. If you allow this to sit in the secondary too long and get crystal clear it may end up as a still cider. It'll clear in the bottle. Allow it to bottle condition for several weeks. It gets better as time goes by and it will kick your butt. I drink it in a wine glass in 6 oz portions.

just made two batches of this yesterday. I couldn't find any white grape concentrate so it might end up purple... hopefully it will still be good though.
summersolstice: have you back sweetened this before? Is it even necessary?
With splenda or something...

Got a gallon of fresh pressed cider from an orchard at home, so I'm gonna scale this down for that. One question I have tho, I read elsewhere that adding fresh apples in the secondary could add some extra flavor and possibly some sweetness. What does everyone else think about this?

Anyone had any bottle bomb issues bottling this recipe? I've had mine in the secondary for about half a week and plan to bottle per the recipe in another week and a half. It's my first attempt at cider, and this post had me wondering about bottle carbing it.

I made this a few weeks ago and it is quite delicious! Just gotta watch out cause it will get you!
As for carbing, since it is a dry cider, you should have no problem with cause when I made it the FG was plently low

I mixed up a batch as per instructions a week ago today.
Today the airlock is still bubbling, ~1 bubble every 2 seconds. (using 3 piece airlock on a 6.5 gal Ale Pail)

Should I wait till the bubbling stops to secondary? or follow the instructions and transfer today?

Wal-Mart has 96oz bottles of Apple Juice, no sugar added, no preservatives, no added vit C, for a $1.50, so I'm stocking up to try different recipes. :):drunk:

Side note; Just out of curiosity, after reading a thread abt using bread yeast to make cider, I made a one gal batch (same recipe) using 1/2 pack Fleischmenns rapid rise yeast. It stopped bubbling after 5 days and is now settled out fairly well.
Did high alcohol levels kill the bread yeast? If so I'm guessing that it wont carb and will be still cider(?)
I'll let you know how it turns out.

I'm just about to make this, but cannot find the yeast listed in my area. Can somebody help me choose an appropriate one from this limited list that is available to me. I'm itching to get started.

heres what i have to work with:
http://store.defalcowines.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=366

i'd prefer it if i could use a dry yeast, but i'll use a liquid one if its really required.

Thanks All.

What brand? i wanna see if my Wal-Mart has the same deal.

I was wrong, it does have Vitamin C added....

Great Value
No sugar added
100% Apple Juice from concentrate
with added ingredient" (vitamin C)

PS; How could this be turned into a sweet sparkling cider??
I was just reading through some of the other cider recipes, one called for using lactose to sweeten it (??) and someone else asked about using Splenda, how would this work for this recipe??

I tried this, bottled 7-1-10
Taste to me like a white wine with a strong hint of apple.
At bottling I added 1lb of lactose and two cups of splenda, and primed with 5oz of priming sugar.
It's mildly sweet with almost no carbonation, from what Iv read on other threads I understand that it might take a long time to carb, I assume because of the relatively high ABV.
My friends who like wine love it! (at only two weeks in the bottle) I like it, but I was looking for something a little more "chug-able".
I'm going to set the rest back till Thanksgiving to see how it ages out.
I'll try again with less sugar, to try to keep the ABV below 6%.

Wow! Aging sure makes a difference! just a extra week or so (two and a half weeks from bottling) and it's already carbing up and tasting more like a cider! (I used 5oz of priming sugar at bottling) I cant wait to see what its going to be like in another month or two... I don't think it'll last that long! :mug::tank:

Time to mix up another batch,, or two.. :rockin:

Scaled this down for a 1gal recipe, and made an error when adding the pectic enzyme. Instead of adding 1 teaspoon I added 1 tablespoon! Not sure what affect that will have on the final result.

Just put together a 3 gallon batch a few minutes ago. I made a few substitutions, though. I used citric acid, left out the concentrate and used K1V-1116 yeast. 1.070 O.G. We'll see how it goes!

Eric

I made this today. Have one question, is it total of threes weeks before you bottle or just after two. One week in each Rack.

I also have it sitting in my kitchen should i put it in the fridge?

it wont be ready by thanksgiving. I have a batch thats a year old and is just starting to taste good. If you want something that fast try Graff

it wont be ready by thanksgiving. I have a batch thats a year old and is just starting to taste good. If you want something that fast try Graff

I just tasted my Johnny Jump Up Cider that was bottled one week ago.
First time, so I cannot say if it would take a year for me to love it, but it is super tart and it takes me a bit to drink the 12 oz pour. which sucks because I bottled half the batch in 22oz bottles.
I used cotes de blanc yeast. My LHBS wasn't carrying the premier curvee.

I just started my own variation of this recipe, hope it comes out good.
6 gal Indian Summer Cider (ingredients: Apple juice, Apple juice conc.)
4 lbs dextrose
1/2 c. molasses
8 oz. white grape juice conc.
1 c. chopped raisins
1.5 T cream of tartar
1.5 T yeast nutrients
1. strongly steeped oak bark tea
1 packet S-04 ale yeast

OG = 1.068
Happy brewing!

Huge new guy to the whole brewing of cider here so I have a few questions as I jumped in and I am pretty sure I did something wrong along the way.

So I dumped it all in and finally after 1 week started using my racking cane to transfer to the secondary fermenter. I didnt take any of the leftovers at the end of the transfer. I put the lid on with the airlock and it bubbled for about a day. Then I left it so i dont know when it stopped but roughly 4 days later no bubbles.
Was I suppose to transfer more of the sediments over or was there suppose to be sugar added at this stage?

Has anyone thought about adding whiskey to this? I know originally the cider was fermented in old whiskey barrels which added in a touch of Irish whiskey to the mix.

Back