Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #241
kapbrew13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koerd85
has any bunny tried making a yeast starter with wort? I have and alls i did was: take out one cup of wort after it came to boil, then let it cool, add the yeast to that cup and finally after the wort did its full boil and cooled i added the starter. Fermentation was vigorous
after just 8 hours.
I don't think bunnies make starters. :-p

Starters are usually run 24+ hours. Your scenario seems less than 1 hour. Maybe you just had newer yeast which didn't require a starter.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #242
koerd85
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13

I don't think bunnies make starters. :-p

Starters are usually run 24+ hours. Your scenario seems less than 1 hour. Maybe you just had newer yeast which didn't require a starter.
it was like 2 and a half hours b/c of the full boil and cool down time

Old 09-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #243
shmEk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dead yeast - good ending

First time using a starter here... thanks to all for the comments and DB for starting off the thread with that visual. It was all very helpful.

Story: My W-yeasts (3068 & 3638) arrived on about 6.10.11. with a use by Aug-11 recommended(a time that came and went). They traveled from AHS to SoCalifornia in the summer. Austin was nice enough to pack them in ice for the trip without charge, though I didn't think the ice would get too far across country and thus never ordered it. I refrigerated it right away and have been distracted from brewing for a variety of reasons and have worried about the yeast's viability since it arrived. But, I figured at least some of it must have made it.

Well with the yeast now beyond it's use date I decided to give it a wirl yesterday 9.17.11 to see if anything survived. I made two starters (3068 and 3238) and planned to brew this week if the yeast made it. All afternoon and into the evening it looked like a dead batch, but I kept shaking it often and it falls out baadly in about an hour or so it seems. NO SIGNs of life. Maybe a tiny bit in the 3238 just maybe that bubble wasn't from all the swirling. Well, this morning NOTHING.. still dead and I brought out some new yeast I have in the fridge to make a starter for a different beer.

I was considering just draining off the wort from yesterday for it. Swirled the stuff around again and noticed, it bubbles up a bit... more then yesterday FOR SURE. So, there hAS to be something going on in there.

A couple hours later and several vigorous swirlings, and each time there is large amounts of carbination coming off now when I swirl it.

So, YES, it looks like we have a starter coming along to test them out on split 10 gallons to see which yeast I like better, though I am pretty sure 3068 is it already. It was a scarey time and I am very glad I didn't toss the two starters this morning at the point when it was looking like it was all bad. It was kinda depressing as I had thought that at least some cells would make it. Glad they did, and we'll see what they can do come brew day this week or next weekend.

Thanks again all.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #244
mforsman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I keep coming back here and using this, just wanted to say thanks!

Old 10-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #245
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 127 Posts

Updated info, everybody. Let me know what you think.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 AM   #246
DarkPhyre
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ran into some trouble. I was in a hurry (I know, the most common mistake, rushing yourself) and read just the first post.

I thought 1/2 cup DME PER 500ml water. I was making a 1600 ml starter

So, is that gonna be bad, or not so bad?

1600ml, 1 & 1/2 cups DME

I am using a stirplate and doing 5 gallons.

My guess, use only 1L of the starter.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #247
amaier48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

so whats the difference in a starter and reusing washed yeast?

also if you make a starter you want to use it with in 24hrs,,, if not refridgerate and use within a week?

when reusing washed yeast.... is the cell count going to be high like using a starter?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #248
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Can someone tell me if the temp you ferment your starters at matters.

In other words, if I ferment my starter too warm, will the subsequent generations of yeast be "stressed," and more likely to generate off flavors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 12-14-2011, 05:49 PM   #249
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by HItransplant

In other words, if I ferment my starter too warm, will the subsequent generations of yeast be "stressed," and more likely to generate off flavors?
I try to keep them within the recommended range given by the manufacturer. You're not making beer, just growing yeast, but I figure the strain was optimized for these temps so why not keep it there?

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Sour Saison, Pale Ale, Aggie Ale, Firestone DBA, De Koninck Blonde
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck: Pliny the Younger

Old 12-15-2011, 12:44 AM   #250
shmEk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HItransplant View Post

Thus far, I've made about 8 starters now. MOST of them would have been stressed at too high of temperatures.....HOWEVER,... all of my beers have very happily turned out awesome IMO, and my reviewers gave outstanding comments. I would worry about too high or low temps normally, but given the results thus far my yeast will continue to get starters at whatever temperature is on the counter of my bathroom. [My yeast temps have been probably anywhere from 63F to 84F, on WLP001,007,530, and Wyeast 3638, 3068]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
Updated info, everybody. Let me know what you think.
Looking real good to me there.