Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #191
dunnright00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,461
Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Default

On #3, that's what I assumed, but now I ask, how do you take a gravity reading without a refractometer? I've only got a 1.5-2 liter starter. My hydrometer flask will take up a bunch of that volume, and then twice? Not to mention how do I syphon the liquid?


__________________
Caspean Ales and Cider

“There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says, ‘Good People Drink Good Beer.’ Which is true, then as it is now. Just look around you in a public barroom and you will quickly see: Bad People Drink Bad Beer. Think about it.”
-- Hunter S. Thompson,
dunnright00 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #192
commonsenseman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Bear Lake, Minnesota
Posts: 552
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

I use a turkey baster, tip the jug to the side & am ridiculously careful with sanitation. I return the sample when I'm done.


__________________
"EC-1118 is a monster yeast. But it is also clean and quick. Like a humane serial killer."

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein
__________________________________________
Bottled: Traditional Wildflower Mead, Burnt Apple Braggot, Apfelwein, Big Ol' Braggot
Kegged: Wee Bit O' Honey
commonsenseman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #193
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
On #3, that's what I assumed, but now I ask, how do you take a gravity reading without a refractometer? I've only got a 1.5-2 liter starter. My hydrometer flask will take up a bunch of that volume, and then twice? Not to mention how do I syphon the liquid?
I always account for this when making my starter it's bigger than needed and I adjust dme - h2o ratio accordingly.Then before I pitch my yeast pour a decent amt of wort into my hydro flask and take a reading.when I pitch my yeast into the starter I make sure to have the proper liquid amt in the flask ( per mr.malty). I also cold crash then decant at completion into my hydro flask and take my final gravity.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles
Aschecte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #194
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 832
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

So this is what i did to make a yeast starter, let me know if there is any problem with this. I brewed 2 batches yesterday so i wanted to make (2) 4 quart starters. So I made 8 quarts and fermented them in a carboy. On brewday I crash cooled them, a few hours later everything settled, removed most of the liquid and then i pitched the slurry.

Any problems doing it this way?
pola0502ds is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #195
ACESFULL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Metro East StL
Posts: 174
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
I got a question for you....

I've heard several times that Krausen is not a measure of yeast activity, that different strains will produce large amounts of foam, while others will produce hardly any.

Also, one of the purposes of making a starter is to make sure that the yeast is good, and you're not pitching a batch that will not grow.

So my question is, how do you know that the yeast is good? I have a starter, it's been almost 24 hrs, and there's very little to no foam on top. I'm sure it's ok, the production date tells me it was packaged less than a month ago, but I was just curious what the telling signs are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
That's a great question.... IMHO I guess there has to be some activity even when I used Ec-1118 I had some activity and this yeast is known for low krausen but it did have the ferm bubbles going on. #2 you should end up with more yeast ( visibly) and #3 check your gravity if you started with 1.040ish and it didn't move your yeast is bad you should have a lower fg.
This is interesting... I read thru most of this thread prior to making a starter on Friday for a Sunday brew day. White Labs WLP300 Hefe yeast. Used the method pictured in the OP with the DME to H20. Placed it in a sanitized growler with foil on top also sanitized. It was in there for close to 48 hours. Now what I read that this particular strain of yeast is very active with Krausen. I got nothing prior to pitching. Didnt think much about it based on the DME to H2O levels - I was thinking I am trying to double to yeast. Well brewed Sunday morning cooled the wort as normal pitched the whole started roughly 32oz. and I have yet to see any action from the frementer. The last batch I had a smack pack and had action in less then 12 hours. Not sure I should worry yet. The kit came from AHS while its summer and was hot I am starting to think that I may have bad yeast. I also know that it can take up to 72 hours. Just reading this made me worry a bit.l
ACESFULL is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #196
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Aschecte's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida, NY
Posts: 1,692
Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACESFULL View Post
This is interesting... I read thru most of this thread prior to making a starter on Friday for a Sunday brew day. White Labs WLP300 Hefe yeast. Used the method pictured in the OP with the DME to H20. Placed it in a sanitized growler with foil on top also sanitized. It was in there for close to 48 hours. Now what I read that this particular strain of yeast is very active with Krausen. I got nothing prior to pitching. Didnt think much about it based on the DME to H2O levels - I was thinking I am trying to double to yeast. Well brewed Sunday morning cooled the wort as normal pitched the whole started roughly 32oz. and I have yet to see any action from the frementer. The last batch I had a smack pack and had action in less then 12 hours. Not sure I should worry yet. The kit came from AHS while its summer and was hot I am starting to think that I may have bad yeast. I also know that it can take up to 72 hours. Just reading this made me worry a bit.l
couple of things I need to put my .02 in on. I'm sure the op's method will work but I do a couple things differently that may help. #1 for every 4 liters use 1 cup of dme or for a 2 liter starter use 1/2 cup or for 1 liter starter use a 1/4 cup basically a 4:1 ratio water to dme mix. This will give you a SG of 1.044 which is great to grow your yeast without putting too much stress on them. #2 IMO don't use an airlock reason being yeast in this stage need oxygen to grow putting an airlock on prevents this ( yes I know airating prior to locking does this also, but not nessasarily enough) I use a sanitized foam stopper but a piece of sanitized foil will work just as well to et oxygen in but keep bacteria out. hope this might help.
__________________
Funky Onion Brewing est.2010
Primary-Turbid mashed Lambic
Primary-Flanders Red
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles
Aschecte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #197
ACESFULL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Metro East StL
Posts: 174
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
couple of things I need to put my .02 in on. I'm sure the op's method will work but I do a couple things differently that may help. #1 for every 4 liters use 1 cup of dme or for a 2 liter starter use 1/2 cup or for 1 liter starter use a 1/4 cup basically a 4:1 ratio water to dme mix. This will give you a SG of 1.044 which is great to grow your yeast without putting too much stress on them. #2 IMO don't use an airlock reason being yeast in this stage need oxygen to grow putting an airlock on prevents this ( yes I know airating prior to locking does this also, but not nessasarily enough) I use a sanitized foam stopper but a piece of sanitized foil will work just as well to et oxygen in but keep bacteria out. hope this might help.
I will look into this method for my next batch. I was worried about this but yesterday afternoon the airlock took off. Pulled the lid off the fermenter and I had a nice krausen forming. All is well.
ACESFULL is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #198
Zoltanar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 70
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default WhiteLabs - making a starter and keeping part of it for next batch...

I used a WhiteLabs yeast and made a starter, which turned out pretty good.
When pitched, the action started pretty fast, and it was bubbling like I have never seen before. So the starter method explained at the begining of this post was just great! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Now this brings a question. The WhiteLabs yeast I buy are almost 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of a medium grain bill batch.
I would like to reuse some of the tubes I have from previous yeasts, and "replicate" one I just bought so I can reuse it, and cut down on my cost.

Please let me know if the following make sense:
1. Create a normal starter, eventually doubling it or even more.
2. Cold crash it to separate the yeast from the wort, and pour out a good part of the wort
3. Stir the starter and pour it in x number of WhiteLabs Yeast tubes, filling them to about 2/3, recap tight, and store in Kegerator/fridge

(Of course, all things need to be sanitized)
How long could I keep this in the fridge? It would be kept around 4degs C. - in my kegerator.

Thanks,
Zolt
Zoltanar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #199
Vance71975
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bryan, Ohio
Posts: 818
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
i thought this picture might help out some newbies. found it on another forum.



fyi: instead of an airlock you can just use some aluminum foil. swirl the liquid every once in a while to keep those yeast busy.
Awesome!
__________________
The mind is like a beer, it does the most good when it is opened.
Vance71975 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #200
Jwash1705
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wickliffe, OH
Posts: 46
Default

I came home today to find two fruit flys in my starter which was covered by foil. My question is... Is there any way to save this yeast or should I just cut my losses. Thanks for any help you can give me.


Jwash1705 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rehydrate yeast or make starter? limey lou Extract Brewing 10 04-22-2013 07:44 PM
How do I make a yeast starter? mayday1019 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 05-23-2010 01:58 PM
I want to make a yeast starter carolinaeasy Fermentation & Yeast 5 10-30-2009 02:34 PM
Should I make a yeast starter? billymeter Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 08-25-2009 04:18 PM
To make a yeast starter or not to make a yeast starter...? bernerbrau General Techniques 8 10-03-2008 09:37 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS