Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

Old 07-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #191
dunnright00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 53

On #3, that's what I assumed, but now I ask, how do you take a gravity reading without a refractometer? I've only got a 1.5-2 liter starter. My hydrometer flask will take up a bunch of that volume, and then twice? Not to mention how do I syphon the liquid?

“There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says, ‘Good People Drink Good Beer.’ Which is true, then as it is now. Just look around you in a public barroom and you will quickly see: Bad People Drink Bad Beer. Think about it.”
-- Hunter S. Thompson,

Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #192
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I use a turkey baster, tip the jug to the side & am ridiculously careful with sanitation. I return the sample when I'm done.

1 Gal: Brandon O's-Graff
2 Gal: Big Ol' Barleywine
5 Gal: Graham's English Cider
5 Gal: Apfelwein

Old 07-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #193
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
On #3, that's what I assumed, but now I ask, how do you take a gravity reading without a refractometer? I've only got a 1.5-2 liter starter. My hydrometer flask will take up a bunch of that volume, and then twice? Not to mention how do I syphon the liquid?
I always account for this when making my starter it's bigger than needed and I adjust dme - h2o ratio accordingly.Then before I pitch my yeast pour a decent amt of wort into my hydro flask and take a reading.when I pitch my yeast into the starter I make sure to have the proper liquid amt in the flask ( per mr.malty). I also cold crash then decant at completion into my hydro flask and take my final gravity.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 07-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #194
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So this is what i did to make a yeast starter, let me know if there is any problem with this. I brewed 2 batches yesterday so i wanted to make (2) 4 quart starters. So I made 8 quarts and fermented them in a carboy. On brewday I crash cooled them, a few hours later everything settled, removed most of the liquid and then i pitched the slurry.

Any problems doing it this way?

Old 07-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #195
ACESFULL
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
I got a question for you....

I've heard several times that Krausen is not a measure of yeast activity, that different strains will produce large amounts of foam, while others will produce hardly any.

Also, one of the purposes of making a starter is to make sure that the yeast is good, and you're not pitching a batch that will not grow.

So my question is, how do you know that the yeast is good? I have a starter, it's been almost 24 hrs, and there's very little to no foam on top. I'm sure it's ok, the production date tells me it was packaged less than a month ago, but I was just curious what the telling signs are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
That's a great question.... IMHO I guess there has to be some activity even when I used Ec-1118 I had some activity and this yeast is known for low krausen but it did have the ferm bubbles going on. #2 you should end up with more yeast ( visibly) and #3 check your gravity if you started with 1.040ish and it didn't move your yeast is bad you should have a lower fg.
This is interesting... I read thru most of this thread prior to making a starter on Friday for a Sunday brew day. White Labs WLP300 Hefe yeast. Used the method pictured in the OP with the DME to H20. Placed it in a sanitized growler with foil on top also sanitized. It was in there for close to 48 hours. Now what I read that this particular strain of yeast is very active with Krausen. I got nothing prior to pitching. Didnt think much about it based on the DME to H2O levels - I was thinking I am trying to double to yeast. Well brewed Sunday morning cooled the wort as normal pitched the whole started roughly 32oz. and I have yet to see any action from the frementer. The last batch I had a smack pack and had action in less then 12 hours. Not sure I should worry yet. The kit came from AHS while its summer and was hot I am starting to think that I may have bad yeast. I also know that it can take up to 72 hours. Just reading this made me worry a bit.l

Old 07-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #196
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACESFULL View Post
This is interesting... I read thru most of this thread prior to making a starter on Friday for a Sunday brew day. White Labs WLP300 Hefe yeast. Used the method pictured in the OP with the DME to H20. Placed it in a sanitized growler with foil on top also sanitized. It was in there for close to 48 hours. Now what I read that this particular strain of yeast is very active with Krausen. I got nothing prior to pitching. Didnt think much about it based on the DME to H2O levels - I was thinking I am trying to double to yeast. Well brewed Sunday morning cooled the wort as normal pitched the whole started roughly 32oz. and I have yet to see any action from the frementer. The last batch I had a smack pack and had action in less then 12 hours. Not sure I should worry yet. The kit came from AHS while its summer and was hot I am starting to think that I may have bad yeast. I also know that it can take up to 72 hours. Just reading this made me worry a bit.l
couple of things I need to put my .02 in on. I'm sure the op's method will work but I do a couple things differently that may help. #1 for every 4 liters use 1 cup of dme or for a 2 liter starter use 1/2 cup or for 1 liter starter use a 1/4 cup basically a 4:1 ratio water to dme mix. This will give you a SG of 1.044 which is great to grow your yeast without putting too much stress on them. #2 IMO don't use an airlock reason being yeast in this stage need oxygen to grow putting an airlock on prevents this ( yes I know airating prior to locking does this also, but not nessasarily enough) I use a sanitized foam stopper but a piece of sanitized foil will work just as well to et oxygen in but keep bacteria out. hope this might help.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 07-06-2011, 02:23 PM   #197
ACESFULL
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
couple of things I need to put my .02 in on. I'm sure the op's method will work but I do a couple things differently that may help. #1 for every 4 liters use 1 cup of dme or for a 2 liter starter use 1/2 cup or for 1 liter starter use a 1/4 cup basically a 4:1 ratio water to dme mix. This will give you a SG of 1.044 which is great to grow your yeast without putting too much stress on them. #2 IMO don't use an airlock reason being yeast in this stage need oxygen to grow putting an airlock on prevents this ( yes I know airating prior to locking does this also, but not nessasarily enough) I use a sanitized foam stopper but a piece of sanitized foil will work just as well to et oxygen in but keep bacteria out. hope this might help.
I will look into this method for my next batch. I was worried about this but yesterday afternoon the airlock took off. Pulled the lid off the fermenter and I had a nice krausen forming. All is well.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #198
Zoltanar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default WhiteLabs - making a starter and keeping part of it for next batch...

I used a WhiteLabs yeast and made a starter, which turned out pretty good.
When pitched, the action started pretty fast, and it was bubbling like I have never seen before. So the starter method explained at the begining of this post was just great! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Now this brings a question. The WhiteLabs yeast I buy are almost 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost of a medium grain bill batch.
I would like to reuse some of the tubes I have from previous yeasts, and "replicate" one I just bought so I can reuse it, and cut down on my cost.

Please let me know if the following make sense:
1. Create a normal starter, eventually doubling it or even more.
2. Cold crash it to separate the yeast from the wort, and pour out a good part of the wort
3. Stir the starter and pour it in x number of WhiteLabs Yeast tubes, filling them to about 2/3, recap tight, and store in Kegerator/fridge

(Of course, all things need to be sanitized)
How long could I keep this in the fridge? It would be kept around 4degs C. - in my kegerator.

Thanks,
Zolt

Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #199
Vance71975
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
i thought this picture might help out some newbies. found it on another forum.

fyi: instead of an airlock you can just use some aluminum foil. swirl the liquid every once in a while to keep those yeast busy.
Awesome!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #200
Jwash1705
Recipes 

I came home today to find two fruit flys in my starter which was covered by foil. My question is... Is there any way to save this yeast or should I just cut my losses. Thanks for any help you can give me.