Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

Old 03-24-2011, 03:10 AM   #161
tedclev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
Hey guys so I just made my second yeast starter, and the final result is always questionable. Why do I end up with 400 mL of starter? I've heard that this can sometimes produce negative effects. Should I boil up some water and add it to the starter in order to increase the volume?

Also, how in the hell do you guys get gravity readings of your yeast starters? Wouldn't the sample be somewhere around a quarter of the yeast starter, which risks contamination?
Refractometers are great for getting your gravity readings easily without drawing a large sample. You can also calculate it using pen and paper or some brew software. As far as your volume question... If you are boiling two cups- 16 oz- of water, you are going to end up with a little less than that due to evaporation. 400 mL is 13.5 oz. Don't worry about adding more water- you are making yeast, not soup for four. What you can do is make your starter and then cold crash it in the fridge after 24 hours. Then, pour off the liquid and make another starter, pitching your the yeast from your first starter into the new wort. You will double your yeast count this way. The bigger the beer, the more times you should step up your starter.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:25 AM   #162
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedclev View Post
Refractometers are great for getting your gravity readings easily without drawing a large sample. You can also calculate it using pen and paper or some brew software. As far as your volume question... If you are boiling two cups- 16 oz- of water, you are going to end up with a little less than that due to evaporation. 400 mL is 13.5 oz. Don't worry about adding more water- you are making yeast, not soup for four. What you can do is make your starter and then cold crash it in the fridge after 24 hours. Then, pour off the liquid and make another starter, pitching your the yeast from your first starter into the new wort. You will double your yeast count this way. The bigger the beer, the more times you should step up your starter.
Tedclav, I see your in Boone, NC, thats where I'm at bro! Thanks for the helpful tips!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #163
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Wow- I was wondering when I'd see someone else from Boonetown on here. We'll have to get together and brew sometime!

Old 03-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #164
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I made my yeast starter lastnight around 10:00 PM EST, and it is pretty active right now. I would like to brew some beer later today around 7:00 PM. If I put my yeast starter in the fridge for a few hours before I start brewing, will that give the yeast enough time to sink to the bottom so that I can decant this starter? Or is it advisable to leave it in the fridge for a day or two? If so I might just add the whole yeast starter :\.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #165
demens
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Need some advice.

I got a starter going yesterday and plan on brewing tonight. I was gonna pitch the whole thing (2L) but it smells really sour. So i figured i'd decant. I put the starter in the fridge this morning and its clearing up but very slowly. I really dont think it will clear up enough by tonight so can i pour off the sour beer. I dont want to pour off the yeast, the cake on the bottom doesn't look like a lot.

Will putting it in the freezer speed up the clearing? Or will it shock the yeast?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #166
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by demens View Post
Need some advice.

I got a starter going yesterday and plan on brewing tonight. I was gonna pitch the whole thing (2L) but it smells really sour. So i figured i'd decant. I put the starter in the fridge this morning and its clearing up but very slowly. I really dont think it will clear up enough by tonight so can i pour off the sour beer. I dont want to pour off the yeast, the cake on the bottom doesn't look like a lot.

Will putting it in the freezer speed up the clearing? Or will it shock the yeast?
I'm in the same dilemma.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #167
demens
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsonLE View Post
I'm in the same dilemma.
Ha, dont even know how i missed your post. I read the whole thread the other day, guess just didn't pay attention to the new posts since.

I put some washed yeast in the fridge last night, so its about 12 hours ahead of the starter and its about half cleared. I'm sure its gonna be fine by tomorrow but i wanna brew today, like in 2 hours .

I'm no expert and this is my 1st starter but from reading about this stuff for the past few days, i think in your case if your starter doesn't smell sour and its relatively small (400ml right?) i would just dump the whole thing in.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #168
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 127 Posts

Yes, top off with sanitary water.

tedclev...yes, the problem is that many people use too hot of water, are not taking the temperature of their water or are otherwise misconstruing the directions. Many companies say to put the yeast in 90 degree water, which will likely kill the yeast.

It's simply not necessary and can be a problem, so I always advise against it.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #169
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schneemann View Post
How far in advance can you make a starter? I've seen people say 24 hours and I've seen people say 7 days.
Look at the date on the vial, once you make a starter you just added a few months to that, though if you wait too long I would do another starter.

I have a few vials of WL yeast I use a lot, that have been making beer for over a year (I decant the starter, then mix and re-fill the vial before pitching)

Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #170
MyNameIsPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 159 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 157

I'm getting lost in this thread....

I have a 2L flask, so how much DME goes into how much water to make it 2L? Seems like a lot!?