killer homebrew hangovers - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > killer homebrew hangovers

Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 PM   #1
Jul 2008

I have done some experimenting and noticed that everytime I drink homebrew in excess, I get unbelieveable hangovers that last about a day.....much more severe then the typical beer hangover.

Does anyone know why this happens and/or what can be done about it? I know that I could always just drink less of it, but that would not be practical

Old 08-12-2008, 11:53 PM   #2
Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 48 Times on 27 Posts

Are you drinking bizarro homebrew? Usually hangovers are not as bad with homebrew.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #3
Mar 2008
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

we could use a little more info, type of beer, alcohol content, age of the beers.

Old 08-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #4
Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

I don't think I've EVER had a home brew Hangover. Except for when Too Much home brew leads to WAY too much Whiskey.
What kind are you drinking.
Seriously. I'm here for BEER
It's Not The Size Of Your Rig That Counts....It's How Often You Use It.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
May 2007
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Maybe you're fermenting really hot and getting fusels, but the B-complex vitamins in the yeast seem to keep me hangover free, and I've gotten a hangover from as few as 2 beers before.
Revolving Door Brewery

Old 08-13-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Ale's What Cures You!
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7927 Times on 5551 Posts

Originally Posted by elkdog View Post
Maybe you're fermenting really hot and getting fusels, but the B-complex vitamins in the yeast seem to keep me hangover free, and I've gotten a hangover from as few as 2 beers before.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I drink homebrew daily, and often times I drink too much. I have never, ever had a homebrew hangover. I do get hangovers from commercial beers, though- wicked bad headaches if I forget that I'm drinking commercial beer and drink more than even a couple.

If you ferment at cool temperatures, and allow it to finish, and use only malt (no extra fermentables like table sugar), you should be golden.

Could you tell us a typical process/recipe and see if we can see something that might be causing some fusel alcohols or other issues?
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #7
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3193 Times on 1885 Posts

Another thing that no one ever seems to consider...If you are use to drinking a commercial beer especially a BMC product with an ABV of under 5% and slamming a few of them...Unless you are brewing session beers then the ABV of yours will be significantly higher...So if you drink the same amount as you would a BMC, and you aren't used to it,then I could see how possibly you'd get a hangover...

Most of my ales begin in the 5.5 % range, and have many in the 6-7%
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-13-2008, 12:17 AM   #8
Nov 2007
Atlanta, GA
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

i have also noticed the lack of hangovers when drinking pure homebrew, but i have also noticed if i am pounding homebrew and it gets late and i decide to grab just one or two bud lights, i'll be a goner the next day...
"Retail is for suckers."

Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #9
Mar 2008
the Desert, CA
Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts

I've never gotten hangovers from beer [homebrew or otherwise]. Even this past wknd when I drank excessive amounts of homebrew into the wee hours of the night, I didn't get a hangover. What I've noticed tho is that I have a lot dreams [and weird dreams at that] whenever I drink homebrew.
Primary 1: pale ale
Primary 2: blondie

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 AM   #10
Maniacally Malty
Apr 2007
Oakland, CA
Liked 269 Times on 134 Posts

lower your fermentation temperatures and cut down on your ABV. make some session beers that are in the 3-4% range, that way you can just pound them down. give your beer time to ferment out completely and properly condition.
Easy Partial Mash Brewing - Stovetop All-Grain Brewing

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

We will remember...