If a saison's been in primary 3 weeks, should I go to secondary or just bottle? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > If a saison's been in primary 3 weeks, should I go to secondary or just bottle?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 PM   #1
rockout
Recipes 
 
May 2007
The Garden State
Posts: 232


I'm sorry for this being a bit of a repeat but I think I may have posted it in the wrong forum at first. In any case, not getting any answers.

I put the wort into primary July 20th - and then had to go on a long road trip for work that started a few days after and didn't get back till yesterday. Before I left, fermentation was some of the most active I've ever seen (going by the bubbles in the airlock) and it slowed down some but was still going when I left.

Of course, now it's been over three weeks in primary. It's not bubbling at all anymore and I have yet to take a hydrometer reading. One helpful gent when I was preparing this brew told me he usually didn't go to a secondary with a Saison, others disagreed. What should I do at this point?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #2
fat x nub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
fat x nub's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 900
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


eh....i would bottle it. it should be great!
__________________
Primary 1-This Bud's for you
Primary 2- Cream Ale
Secondary 1- Strong Scotch Ale
Secondary 2- empty
Bottled/Kegged- Centinneal Blonde, Apfelwein
Up Next- MyCastle (N.English Brown Ale), Hooch Pale Ale
Thinking About: Tripple Bock, Chocolate Stout, open to suggestions

"Every beer is a good beer if I can taste the brewer's intent"
-Jim Koch


Is this guy serious??:
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabeach1 View Post
so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rockout View Post
It's not bubbling at all anymore and I have yet to take a hydrometer reading.
Take a reading and consider keeping it on the yeast until it stops or reaches it's target gravity. Most folks want their saison dry, let it do its thing in the primary. Fwiw, I waited until mine went below 1.010 then threw it in the secondary, cold crash for two weeks at 35.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #4
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


I agree with brewt00l. If you used the Saison strain from Wyeast (the regular one, not sure about the others but I think I recall some forum members reporting the same thing with other Saison strains) it has a tendency to stall out around 1.035. If you search for 3724, you'll see threads about it. I had this happen, just like it said and the whoosh, it dropped real fast one day. So definitely take a reading.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
rockout
Recipes 
 
May 2007
The Garden State
Posts: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
Fwiw, I waited until mine went below 1.010 then threw it in the secondary, cold crash for two weeks at 35.
Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mean you racked to secondary and immediately went to 35 with it? or was that cold crashing after some (how much?) time in the secondary?

In any case, thanks for the advice, guys.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
brewt00l
Recipes 
 
Dec 2006
Doylestown, PA
Posts: 3,725
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by rockout View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but do you mean you racked to secondary and immediately went to 35 with it? or was that cold crashing after some (how much?) time in the secondary?

In any case, thanks for the advice, guys.
I used WLP565 and it sat in the primary in the mid to upper 80s for 14 days until it dropped below 1.010. I transferred it to the secondary and let it cool off a bit over a day then into the fridge @ 35. After it sat in the fridge for another week or so, I warmed it up to room temp before bottling.

The key from my pov was keeping it in the primary and keeping the temp up to encourage full attenuation before any transfer. The secondary was just coming in and batting cleanup.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #7
rockout
Recipes 
 
May 2007
The Garden State
Posts: 232

Just curious, but after you bottle, do you then immediately put the bottles back into the fridge? or do you let the carbonation happen at room temp ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
zoebisch01
 
zoebisch01's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Central PA
Posts: 5,182
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


You'll arrest the carbonation if you put them well out of the yeast's fermentation range.
__________________
Event Horizon ~ A tribute to the miracle of fermentation.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
carnevoodoo
Recipes 
 
May 2007
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,276
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
You'll arrest the carbonation if you put them well out of the yeast's fermentation range.
In other words: room temp.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
rockout
Recipes 
 
May 2007
The Garden State
Posts: 232

Thanks. That's what I figured but I wanted to make sure.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary? justin22 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 07-06-2009 12:57 AM
2 weeks in primary 1 week in secondary, is this ok? hopsalot Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 02-20-2008 06:11 PM
Need Beer in 5 weeks - Bottle or Leave in Primary bigben General Techniques 7 12-18-2007 01:39 AM
3 Week Primary or Transfer to Secondary for Remaining 2 Weeks? EinGutesBier Bottling/Kegging 9 11-23-2007 05:54 PM
3 weeks primary, 5 weeks secondary, do I need to add yeast? TheH2 Bottling/Kegging 1 08-26-2007 04:35 PM


Forum Jump