buybacks, or lack thereof. - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > buybacks, or lack thereof.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #21
eschatz

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Terre Haute, IN
Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts

no way, free beers only come from friends behind the bar. or possibly soon to be friends! free beers also come when people show up to my house. so everyone quit complaining and come over and have a beer!

What's tappening? :D

Old 08-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #22
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 608 Times on 403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriso View Post
Last weekend I killed 3 hours in a great little local-brewpub... Tab was around $60 including beers, chicken fingers, a cheeseburger, more beers, a shirt, a pint glass, more beers, and a 50# sack of grain. I tipped an extra $20. What can I say, the service was top-notch and the beers were to die for. 33% ain't so bad.
Damn, beer must be cheap in Nebraska. I'm thinking you've got $30+ worth of non beer stuff. Three hours of "drink 'em quick" beers for 20-something bucks? That's gotta be about $2 and change for a beer. You lucky bastidge!

EDIT: I'm not usually the guy who over analyses someone's post but damn, that's cheap beer!

Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #23
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts

It was somewhere around there. I didn't see the "actual" receipt - maybe my deal was better than I though. Huh. Oh well, that's why I tipped so high! They inspired me towards another new brew to try to clone though. They did a Brown Ale with Rye in it that was very nice. It reminded me of my Rye Hobgoblin but less hoppy. So I think I'm gonna try to replicate it.

3 hours = either 7 or 8 pints, I don't recall. Good thing the hotel was only 4 blocks! I took a nice nap.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #24
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 608 Times on 403 Posts

Ahh, I assumed 'drink 'em quick' was a 4+ per hour pace.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #25

Frankly, I find the attitude that regulars 'deserve' free beers simply because they decide to patronize a certain bar/restaurant to be more than a little arrogant.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #26
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Jul 2007
San Diego, CA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used to let me bartenders "buy" their regulars a drink through comps. It's good for business and actually helped prevent the bartenders from stealing. There were rules of course. Anything they wanted to do out of their pocket was up to them.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #27
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Ahh, I assumed 'drink 'em quick' was a 4+ per hour pace.
Nah, I was trying to go as slowly as possible. At the local dive bar, though, yeah. That's about right.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 08-12-2008, 05:56 PM   #28
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Dec 2005
Portland, OR, Oregon
Liked 50 Times on 35 Posts

Free drinks after drinking a few? I've never heard of such a thing, nor has that ever happened to me. No wait, that happened one time. I was at a beer festival and the guy from Rogue gave me a free pint because I was wearing a Metallica shirt and a NASA hat.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:03 PM   #29
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most

Recipes 

Oct 2007
southern mass
Liked 71 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Frankly, I find the attitude that regulars 'deserve' free beers simply because they decide to patronize a certain bar/restaurant to be more than a little arrogant.

I don't think anyone implied that regualrs "deserve" a free drink. It's just one of those things that come along with being a regular. I grew up in a bar/restaurant with a bartending father. All the regulars didn't get freebies nor did they expect them. Good customers / regulars get those type of things in bars all the time.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #30
cpz28
Recipes 

Oct 2007

In Indiana it is illegal to comp alcohol from a bill, I am sure it is illegal in other states as well. I have still gotten free beers at the local brew pub where I am a regular, but I don't expect freebies. I don't like the attitude of people who think they bought so much that they are entitled to a free round. I buy alot of CD's at Best Buy does that mean I should get a free one ? Odds are if you are cool and tip your bartenders well they will occasionally reciprocate.