buybacks, or lack thereof. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > buybacks, or lack thereof.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:29 PM   #11
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
southern mass
Liked 71 Times on 43 Posts

I don't get free beers but if I'm at a place with a decent beer selection I'll ask for a sample and have never been turned down. I don't think getting a free beer is something you should expect for buying a few. Unless you're a regular at the place in question and tip well.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
MrFebtober

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Greater Cincinnati area
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've gotten free drinks before, but it's definitely rare and always involved a lot of flirting or other social interaction. It's never been a gimme and I've always been very appreciative and tipped accordingly.

Last time was at a thai restaurant with a buddy. I got a free round plus some fantastic free spicy thai soup.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein

Old 08-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Getting a free drink is nice. Expecting a free drink just because you bought a few beers is douchie. End of story.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy View Post
I only get free beer at pubs if I swap it for something.
There again, it's not the done thing to tip at a pub.
You can and do every once in a while but it's not expected.
And even then you are not exctly tipping them. You are "Buying them one" up north they will usually translate it as a set amount, down south they will either accept a drink or the full price of one.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
VatorMan

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Getting a free drink is nice. Expecting a free drink just because you bought a few beers is douchie. End of story.
Sirius. I mean what was your attitude ? Was it Hey NumbNuts gimme a free beer ? I'll bet you even hinted at it.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:28 PM   #16
jpsloan

Recipes 

Nov 2006
New Market, MD
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

When I first moved to Maryland after The Big Blow (aka, Katrina), I frequented a local brewpub every Friday when my wife was at work.

During that time I only had one freebie. But it was a nifty one. The brewer usually came in on Friday afternoons to wrap up stuff, and sat with the regulars. One day, he came up behind the bar stools, and set a beer in front of me and the guy next to me. They were samples of his newest batch of Belgian Wit. Pint-sized samples.

Made me feel kind of nifty.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:32 PM   #17
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

Ray McNeill gave us beers at Yankee Inebriation. Of couse, we reciprocated in kind (and then some)!

proudest moment of my brewing career is when he asked for a second pint of my APA

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 08-12-2008, 01:36 PM   #18
EdWort

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts

I get an occasional free beer at certain bars. Great service, conversation, and I tip well.

Once place in Pittsburgh, the lady would buy my first round. Great gal behind the bar at Smokey Bones in Robinson.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
menschmaschine

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Delaware
Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orfy View Post
I only get free beer at pubs if I swap it for something.
There again, it's not the done thing to tip at a pub.
You can and do every once in a while but it's not expected.
I like this better than the under-paid, over-tipped server staffing system here. What are we up to now, 20%? Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those jip-tipping guys, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

On topic, I've never expected a free drink.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #20
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Someplace, Nebraska
Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts

I've never got a "free" drink. There's been once or twice where I've pointed out that they omitted to charge me for one (out of a handful total) and they've said "oh don't worry about it"... but never outright had them say "This one's on me!". And those times, I always tip 2x the cost of the beer I wasn't charged for, minimum.

I usually tip 20%-30% at bars, but I'm a needy customer. I drink 'em quick, so they do a lot of walking back and forth to my table. Last weekend I killed 3 hours in a great little local-brewpub... Tab was around $60 including beers, chicken fingers, a cheeseburger, more beers, a shirt, a pint glass, more beers, and a 50# sack of grain. I tipped an extra $20. What can I say, the service was top-notch and the beers were to die for. 33% ain't so bad.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher