Dfh 120 Wtf!?!!! - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Dfh 120 Wtf!?!!!

Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #11
surfbrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2007
SLO County, CA

Thanks for the kind words on the post. Glad to know that I am not alone on my observations of the beer and yes, I also respect Sam of DFH for his ingenuity and spirit. I just wish that I had heard some dissenting opinions prior to trying this, I was expecting harps and fireworks and instead bit into a Sh!t Sandwich! Anyway, maybe I'll get another one and age it. It might be worth giving it some time.

On an upside I just scored a third place for my Brown ale in a local comp and it is tasting quite nice as is my IPA. Hope you all are having a great summer.

Cheers!

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 08-12-2008, 03:43 AM   #12
findthefish

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Orange, CA
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Save one for three years and tell me you don't like it then.

The first 120 I had was three years old, and awesome. I tried a newer one and hated it.

The Bruery Provisions - Homebrewing supplies and equipment.
BrewCommune - Orange County home brew club, yeast database, recipes, and forum.

On Deck: Belgian IPA
Primary: nothing
Secondary: Traditional Mead
Kegged: APA, Cream Ale, Belgian Ale, Sour Belgian, Barrel Aged RIS

Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 AM   #13
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

This stuff is hop flavored vodka. I was expecting much more out of this (many thanks to PseudoChef for gettiing me a bottle of this to try ) DFH60 and DFH90 are both very good (but not great) beers, so my expectations were for DFH 120 to exceed both of them.

I guess I should preface this by saying that I don't drink liquor at all. In fact, I hate it. I hate the alcohol burn. I've had 17% beers that still tasted like beer to me - this did not. As I mentioned before, it tasted like hop flavored vodka to me.

I'd never buy it. I'd buy just about any other DFH product though.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:12 AM   #14
McKBrew

Recipes 

Oct 2006
Hayden, Idaho
Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

I have yet to try it. I like the 90min alot, and would definately recommend aging a bottle or two of the 120 if you have the opportunity.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:50 AM   #15
surfbrewer
Recipes 

Sep 2007
SLO County, CA

Yeah like I said I think giving one a good deal of time would be worthwhile. Also, the Bourbon aged IIPA was really great. Among the beat IIPAs' that I've had. For me the 120 was just so sweet that I couldn't even choke it down. The hops really didn't come through much and all that was left was 20% abv of sweetness. I'll give some aging a try one of these days but not for awhile.

Cheers

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 08-12-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
Smogre

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Colorado
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to the OP.
It's refreshing to see another person step out there and speak some truth about this unbalanced brew.
It's my opinion that the 90 minute is a better brew but I blend that with their Brown to make something similar to Burton Baton.
Sure you can drop to the 60 and get a good quality IPA but at that point, I'll buy a 12er of Bridgeport IPA for $12 and be totally pumped.
I'm not here to bash DFH. In fact, I'll raise a toast to Sam and his gang all day long because they're bloody creative.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 PM   #17
drez77
Recipes 

Jan 2007
Palmer MA
Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

I aged bottle for 3 years in my cellar and I thought it was okay. I had a friend who has his the day I bought them and he hated it. I really think this one needs to be forgotten about for years and let it mellow out some.

Mike

Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #18
chthonik
Recipes 

Apr 2007
Baltimore
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
I thought it was alright. Maybe its just too big of a beer for me and isn't something I could sip and enjoy. I did have a chance to try a 2 year cellared 120 min that was a lot more mellow.
I had a similar reaction to 120 (too sweet, cloying) but I didn't want to give up on it. I have a bottle I've managed not to touch for over a year now, and I want to see what another year'll do for it.

And I think the oak-aged DFH is Burton Baton, which is a terrific beer.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #19
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts

I've had the 60, 90 and 120. Much prefer the 60.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #20
VatorMan

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I've had the 60, 90 and 120. Much prefer the 60.
At the local DFH alehouse-They'll make you a 75. 1/2 60 and 1/2 90. That's my favorite.