Can you make Apfelwein with fresh pressed juice? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Can you make Apfelwein with fresh pressed juice?

Old 08-12-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Joe Camel
Recipes 

Mar 2008
Charlottetown, PE, Canada
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Or would this end up more like hard cider?

I've got this weird variety of apple in my back yard called a Transparent Yellow, it doesn't keep very well as an eating apple and as it ripens, it gets these transparent areas under the skin.

It's very sweet and apparently very good for applesauce or juice, so I was thinking I could make some juice if I could get my hands on a press.

Is clarifying needed before making apfelwein? like adding pectic enzyme or filtering?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Oh Ed...You're slacking on these Apfelwein Posts.

I think if you use Montrichet...and the Corn Sugar to give that "TWANG" you would come pretty close.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:09 AM   #3
Toppers
Recipes 

Jun 2008
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Apple juice gives apfelwein that clean, crisp end result. Doing the same with cider or anything else with lots of suspended particles results in a heavy, cidery drink in the end. I have done lots of both, two completely different end results.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
Nerro
Recipes 

Jan 2008
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Of course a coffee filter and some pectinase would work miracles on it

Old 08-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
placervilledan
Recipes 

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppers View Post
Apple juice gives apfelwein that clean, crisp end result. Doing the same with cider or anything else with lots of suspended particles results in a heavy, cidery drink in the end. I have done lots of both, two completely different end results.

My two most recent batches were made with fresh pressed juice. I added pectic enzyme to the must at the start, and both ended up crystal clear. Both were quite crisp and clean as well. The only cider's I have made that were "heavy" were so because of the ingredients I added.

I do agree that different juices give different results. My personal tastes lean towards the fresh stuff, not the tree-top type.