Olympics - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Olympics

Old 08-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 638 Times on 424 Posts

"Hey, you on the rings... Wow, that's awesome. A very impressive display of athleticism. But if you need a judge to pick a winner it ain't a sport. Competition yes. Sport, no."

Old 08-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #22
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

I guess you consider Golf, curling and bass fishing sports then too?
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #23
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Tempe
Liked 41 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
Referees and umpires are not judges. They enforce the rules and administer the scoring. They don't pick the winners.
Judges enforce rules and administer scoring as well. Winners are determined by point totals, not some judge "picking".

I'm not sure if you are saying You don't consider them sports or if you are really trying to argue what a sport consists of.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
sport Audio Help /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc

I know what a sport is but I don't personally consider anything a sport unless it invloves bikini clad women.....UFC, Boxing, Nascar.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

If two people are going to dive at the same time in a competition, shouldn't they be tossing each other around like ice skating? Or maybe they could have synchronized fencing dives... that would be entertaining

Anyone can do that. I want to see a synchronized dive to this:

Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #25
blacklab

Recipes 

Nov 2007
Portland, ME
Liked 49 Times on 27 Posts

The triple lindy!

Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #26
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Tempe
Liked 41 Times on 11 Posts

NICE!!! It was inevidable.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 PM   #27
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Hoover, Alabama USA, Alabama
Liked 39 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
You do realize that it's MEN's synchronized diving on right now, right?
two men wearing speedos, jump in the water, take a shower together and then get in a hot tub - thats just f*** up

shouldn't be on television

Old 08-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #28
Kelsch

Recipes 

May 2008
Twin Cities, MN
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This subject always gets my juices flowing... IMHO, if there is a judge involved (not referee or umpire, who I agree, enforce rules) then I cannot consider it a sport. A judge administers points on a basis of what he/she sees or doesn't see. There is WAY to much gray area there for me to consider it anything but "a display of athletic prowess." Not to take anything away from any of the competitors, they are all extremely talented and even incredible to watch, but not participating in a sport as far as I'm concerned.

As far as claiming that a umpire or referee administers the same amount of control over a game is absurd. Even taking into account the Tim Donaghy fiasco in the NBA, the players still have to make free throws. Scoring is completely on the shoulders of the players themselves. Same in baseball. The umpire can't say "That was a marvelous looking swing. Perfect balance. Kept his down. He only missed the ball by three inches, not quite six, so go ahead and take second base."

Old 08-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #29
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Kelsch

So Golf, bowling and bass fishing are sports by your definition.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #30
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I think the "Sport / Not a Sport" discussion will forever be debated. Golf, Racing, Figure Skating, and a host of others have always had their doubters in the "Not A Sport" camp. And there are valid arguments on both sides...

I am not necessarily a NASCAR/racing fan or a gymnastics fan, but I can appreciate the physical condition both activities require.

The issue i usually have isn't identifying if someone is athletic or that an activity is grueling or requires a certain amount of athleticism. I have an issue with sport/game vs. art/presentation and artistic events or activities that truly require an objective perspective or 'judgment' that pose as a game or sport. Case in point is gymnastics, ice skating, diving, etc.

There isn't a subjective way to judge these events. They fall more into a class of art or exhibition for me. The presenters of these activities are athletes for sure, but the event itself I have a hard time qualifying as sport. Impressive artistic display yes...sport..ummmm..not so much.