Applebees is teh suck. - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Applebees is teh suck.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
david_42

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Liked 151 Times on 142 Posts

Oh, the woos of living in the Pacific Northwest. Other than Mexican (non-chain), I only eat in brewpubs. Never been in an Applebees, but thanks for the warning.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #22
neilb
Recipes 

Jan 2008

I'm not a huge fan of chains, and I try to eat at independently owned places as much as possible, but the Applebee's close to be is actually pretty good. Very friendly staff, and the food is generally pretty good for bar food.

I think its very easy to label all chains with a good/bad brush because they essentially do aim to be the same across the board, but even a snob like me can appreciate an ice cold Bud and some onion rings done right at a chain once in a while

Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #23
brauhaus

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Susquehanna Valley, PA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

We have a Texas Roadhouse right next to the Applebee's and it's not that bad, I love their ribs, plus they have a lot of local brews on tap which is always a plus... come to think of it, I've always have had a nice urge to poo after Texas... hrmmm.

It's a deal breaker with me when I go into a restaurant and ask what they have on tap and there is not one local brew on the menu.

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #24
Aleforge
Recipes 

May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Hey, I'm all for teaching kids how to act in adult places. That's why I had my son in the strip club.

I used all the above mentioned places because when my kids were growing up-it was easier to find something they would eat and not be totally out of place acting like kids.
I see your point then, I am very anal when it comes to how my kids act when we are eating. They are not allowed to get up and run around, bounce in the seat etc. I also make sure they keep their voices low and use proper manners including their napkins on their laps. I mainly accomplish this by drawing with them, playing tic tac toe, and and so on. I see many parents let them climb under the tables and run around all crazy and yes this pisses me off also!

I like outbacks crowned Filet with bluecheese...
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #25
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Colorado
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Guess I'll just be different and say that I like Applebees/Chilis/TGI Fridays/Red Robin. They don't have the greatest food in the world, but I don't go in there expecting that either. For the most part I get fast friendly service with good food cooked the way it's supposed to be cooked.
Drinking: Super Shpadoinkle Blonde Ale

Old 08-11-2008, 04:54 PM   #26
brauhaus

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Susquehanna Valley, PA
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
I see your point then, I am very anal when it comes to how my kids act when we are eating. They are not allowed to get up and run around, bounce in the seat etc. I also make sure they keep their voices low and use proper manners including their napkins on their laps. I mainly accomplish this by drawing with them, playing tic tac toe, and and so on. I see many parents let them climb under the tables and run around all crazy and yes this pisses me off also!

I like outbacks crowned Filet with bluecheese...
I'm not a huge fan of people that let their kids just run around and do whatever just b/c they are out to eat...

I was brought up the same way, manners, polite and if I messed up I wasn't allowed to go out to dinner for a long time...

We try to raise our daughter the same way, people are amazed how well she behaves when we go out (she loves to eat and color) my niece is a completely different story, she is almost 3 and won't eat anything, she cries and yells, she's obnoxious and embarrassing... I don't know how my in-laws deal with it (altho I guess when you feed your kid nothing but junk that's all they want and don't like real food).

Anyway, we have a Fuddrucker's near us that sucks as well!

Fire/EMS of HBT.com

Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #27
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Nov 2007
ANCHORAGE!!
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
RedRobin
I actually like them- However I dont eat there often as a Burger should never cost more than a saw buck let alone 9.95
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #28
MrNate
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 16 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Nothing out of the ordinary. Steak and fries. How do you screw that up? Well, it didn't taste bad...not good, but not bad.
Man, that reminds me of a story I tell about going to a local steakhouse chain up here called Charlie Brown's. Not sure if they have them in other places, but anyway...

I order the prime rib, med. rare, with garlic mash. First time the prime rib comes out it's very well done. Ok, I'm not sure why "very well done" prime rib even exists, but OK. I send it back, pointing out that I would like it medium rare, putting as much emphasis on the rare as I can without being an ass. When it comes back, I would say "medium well" would be a generous description. Who orders prime rib done that well?

Then I tried the mashed potatoes. I nearly gagged. MRE potatoes au grautin taste better. Seriously. At that point I almost hoped they had "creatively seasoned" them when I sent the meat back, because if that's the way they normally taste then they have no damn business running a restaurant.

How in the hell can you screw up prime rib and mashed potatoes? It's not like I'm a food snob or anything, that's just steakhouse 101!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #29
arturo7
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Apr 2007
Huntington Beach
Liked 492 Times on 338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb View Post
I'm not a huge fan of chains, and I try to eat at independently owned places as much as possible,

+1 on the independents.

I must, however, take issue with the Bud Light and onion rings comment.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:13 PM   #30
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 94 Times on 62 Posts

I'm afraid they only get one chance with me.

If it screws up then I send it back and I don't eat. No second chance.
I don't trust them. I sit there until any others in the party have eaten then leave.

I've been places that bad that I've told them they have ruined the evening and told them that I don't think the food is worth the menu price and made them an offer.
It is their job to serve food to a minimum standard. If they can't do it then they do not deserve to be paid for it.