Applebees is teh suck. - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Applebees is teh suck.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #11
Neal Boortz
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Atlanta, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfinch View Post
I'll give props to Lone Star as well...I had a wicked steak in the Fargo location.
I'd add Long Horn Steak House to the list. I've been to both and both will ask you to cut into the steak to see if it is cooked the way you ordered.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
Joe C

Recipes 

May 2008
Gate City
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Joes American Bar and Grill is good food for a pretty large chain. Don't know if they're around you but I enjoy them.
Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
Brandon O
Knapsnatchio
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Tempe
Liked 41 Times on 11 Posts

Great chain here in AZ called Gallaughers. Well, not sure if it's a chain or they just have a couple of places here.
I haven't been to an applebees since I dated in high school. That place is terribad.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

I like the way this thread has turned into a good food guide! I'm gonna start taking notes now! I reckon we already know who the sucky ones are, but the good ones need advertising!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #15
Aleforge

Recipes 

May 2007
Wentzville, Missouri
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Applebees/TGIFridays/Ruby Tuesdays/whatever other same style restaraunt...The only reason I like them is that it keeps people with kids out of the good restaraunts.

Wait a minute, are you saying I can't take my kids to "good" restaraunts?

Where do you usually eat, I'm bringing the entire family in and sitting right behind you!

Back on topic: I don't like any of the chains either but have also had good luck with Longhorn and Texas Road house.
PRIMARY - Orange Blossom Mead

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Old 08-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Boortz View Post
I'd add Long Horn Steak House to the list. I've been to both and both will ask you to cut into the steak to see if it is cooked the way you ordered.
Long Horn's are few and far between around here, presumably because Outback and Texas have cornered the market. I can't eat at either one of those without ending up with IA (Intestinal Armageddon). One time, in college, my wifey (GF then), roommate and I went to Texas for a regular old steak. Nothing out of the ordinary. Steak and fries. How do you screw that up? Well, it didn't taste bad...not good, but not bad. However, the trip back to the house was one of the most harrowing times of my life. Actually, all three of us were in dire straits. This was beyond IA, this was the goddamned End Times in my gut. If there was a land speed record in Guinness for steak passing through one's digestive system, those steaks that day would be eternal champions. How we all managed not to sh*t ourselves is to this day the one true miracle I have witnessed.

Outback is nearly as bad. Wifey's sister works there...her husband is actually the manager of one. I can't eat there without getting IA. Even the salads are covered in what I can only describe as spray-applied laxative. Actually, that's not far off. Wifey also used to waitress there, and this is true: they douse the salads with some weird butter spray before they come out! You know, just in case you were thinking, "hey, you know, this salad could use some more lard!"

And no, I don't have a weak stomach. I have a pretty ironclad stomach. It's just those chains...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Central PA
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Texas Roadhouse blows blue smurf shorts.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #18
VatorMan

Recipes 

Apr 2008
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipans View Post
Wait a minute, are you saying I can't take my kids to "good" restaraunts?

Where do you usually eat, I'm bringing the entire family in and sitting right behind you!

Back on topic: I don't like any of the chains either but have also had good luck with Longhorn and Texas Road house.
Hey, I'm all for teaching kids how to act in adult places. That's why I had my son in the strip club.

I used all the above mentioned places because when my kids were growing up-it was easier to find something they would eat and not be totally out of place acting like kids.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
Brewmando
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Fort Madison, IA (SE)
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My LAST trip to an Applebees;
Me: "What do you have for specialty or import beers?"
Waitress: "Oh we have Coors Light, Bud Light,........."
GOODBYE!!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #20
MrFebtober

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Greater Cincinnati area
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I think Applebees is moving more and more towards fastfood every day. I haven't been in a couple years and never cared much for it (crappy franchise excuse for food, yadda, ydda) but recently I've heard they have taken their beer selection to a new low: all yellow lager and all served "super cold." They used to at least have Guinness and Killians, but apparently they've re-vamped their tap selection, at least at the one closest to my house. I'll be pleased if I never get dragged there again.

Oh, and +1 on Longhorn. Interesting to see I'm not the only one who's had shockingly great experiences there. Some of the best steak for the money and best steak in the world compared with the flavorless leather they serve at outback, crapplebees, etc. I guess not all corporate concept restaurants are created equal, but still too many of them having screaming kids. If the wife and I see a "Kids it free" sign on the door we turn around and get back in the car.

Primary 1: Oktoberfest Lager
Primary 2: Apricot Wit
Primary 3: Christmas Warmer MkII
Primary 4: Apfelwein
Bottle conditioning: Vanilla Caramel Creme Ale
Bottle conditioning: Brain Spawn Saison
Bottle conditioning: Hot Shot Rye Red
On Tap 1: Barletariot Cream Ale
On Tap 2: Apfelwein