going green - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > going green

Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #21
Loweface

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Limerick, Ireland
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Anybody else HATE these? It's all well and good that they only use 1.2 gallon per flush, but I find myself flushing at least twice per "session." So, what's the point?
I have to say, and IMO, this is down to American bread... Too much sugar and processed flour, no fiber... Start eating these or similar and you'll have no problems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Reason: smaller picture

Old 08-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #22
NJTomatoguy

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Maple Shade NJ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Anybody else HATE these? It's all well and good that they only use 1.2 gallon per flush, but I find myself flushing at least twice per "session." So, what's the point?
Yes, the First Generation older models suck, but if you get a newer model with an increased water surface area elongated bowl and a glazed trap, they do work. Spend between $150/$200 on American Standard or Kohler, they work fine.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 PM   #23
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKahuna View Post
HA! Twice... Ya Right.
Note the "at least" in my post.

I doubt bread is the problem. Bread isn't a huge part of my diet, and I get plenty of fiber... I really don't have any "issues" that would require additional flushing unless the flush is just plain inadequate.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:31 PM   #24
Loweface

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Limerick, Ireland
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

It was just something I noticed when I was over was the massive difference in the toilets... You'd think a toilet is a toilet right? Of course you should try eastern european jacks... I've also noticed that when many Americans visit they have trouble "adjusting" to the new diet...

Now this is supposed to be a green thread...

Does anyone use solar on their house?
Quote:
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
NJTomatoguy

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Maple Shade NJ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Solar is an excellent option,in the right situation, and my state subsidizes the installation. For a solar system that would cover most of my needs would be about 15k. My house is oriented North/south, and to see the most benefit at the highest demand,summer, my neighbor would have to cut down a tree. They don't want to do that, so no solar yet. The back of the house gets the sun in the winter, and I have looked into building a greenhouse attached to the back of the house.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 PM   #26
Loweface

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Limerick, Ireland
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTomatoguy View Post
The back of the house gets the sun in the winter, and I have looked into building a greenhouse attached to the back of the house.
A nice big sun room built on the south of a house is great for passive heating, as long as you don't consider it an all year round room. It will work as a solar collector all summer and much of spring/autumn, however don't even consider trying to heat it in the winter, you'll just lose all the energy you saved over the summer and then some...
Quote:

Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #27
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

May 2008
Lubbock, Texas
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I have been considering a solar heated wort boiler. Basically focus a large Fresnel lens on the base of the pot and direct at the sun. Maybe even paint that side of the pot with high heat black paint.

This is the basic principle behind solar cookers. May not work but it would be fun

I recently heard on local NPR station on how to cut down the number of catalogs that enter the mailbox. Being in an apartment we are getting past residents' catalogs as well. Go to www.catalogchoice.org
That really helped.

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 PM   #28
farmbrewernw

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Richland, WA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
They make those dual flush toilets now, one button for #1 and then if your taking a turbo dump you push the #2 button, I hear they alleviate the problem with the low flow toilets. Course what with me living in the country I pee outside half the time anyway.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:22 PM   #29
farmbrewernw

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Richland, WA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy View Post
I have been considering a solar heated wort boiler. Basically focus a large Fresnel lens on the base of the pot and direct at the sun. Maybe even paint that side of the pot with high heat black paint.

This is the basic principle behind solar cookers. May not work but it would be fun

I recently heard on local NPR station on how to cut down the number of catalogs that enter the mailbox. Being in an apartment we are getting past residents' catalogs as well. Go to www.catalogchoice.org
That really helped.
I've seen diy solar water heaters that pretty much consist of black tubing, foil, and a storage tank such as a water heater. I know one of the breweries up here (I think Lucky Lab) can get their water in the summer up to sparging temps and in the winter they can at least take the water up to 70-80ish thus reducing the amount of energy needed to warm up the water.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #30
Loweface

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Limerick, Ireland
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

We have a massive power of one campaign going on advertising "what one change will you make?" You know the small little changes you can make to your house or to everyday actions that multiplied over the course of a year will make a big difference...

The classic example is that turning your thermostat down 1 degree C will knock 10% off your heating bill... That was of course until someone did a survey and most peoples heater doesn't have a thermostat accurate enough to drop 1 degree...
Quote: