going green - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > going green

Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #11
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado
Liked 52 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
I would really like to build a nice house that was self sufficient of both water and energy. Perhaps even food if I could design a setup that was easily maintained through automation of water and fertilizer.
Didn't they build one of those....ans didn't Pauli Shore get locked inside?

Old 08-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
Loweface

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Limerick, Ireland
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If I build a house it will have (at a minimum), a pellet boiler and solar water tubes on the roof... A passive heating design, active heating will be under-floor, and it will have a massive overall U value...

Possibly if the situation is suitable, some geothermal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #13
farmbrewernw

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Richland, WA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
I would really like to build a nice house that was self sufficient of both water and energy. Perhaps even food if I could design a setup that was easily maintained through automation of water and fertilizer.
You know me and a coworker have been talking about this sort of thing for quite some time, he has this dream of being totally self sufficient up in Alaska or something like that. I'd like to build a small house where I live currently and try to do the solar/wind thing combined with water recycling. Biggest problem in any developed area is that the building codes don't allow allot of the "green" stuff just yet.
I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #14
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2195 Times on 768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw View Post
You know me and a coworker have been talking about this sort of thing for quite some time, he has this dream of being totally self sufficient up in Alaska or something like that. I'd like to build a small house where I live currently and try to do the solar/wind thing combined with water recycling. Biggest problem in any developed area is that the building codes don't allow allot of the "green" stuff just yet.
That's what we want to do. Buy a nice 30 acre plot just West of the city limits so we are still really close to town but avoid permits. Then do a basic wind/solar or perhaps geothermal setup. Also a well and rain water collection system.

I've been researching and even built a basic solar Stirling engine recently. Fun concept to mess around with.

Register Now!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
Loweface

Recipes 

Sep 2007
Limerick, Ireland
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbrewernw View Post
Biggest problem in any developed area is that the building codes don't allow allot of the "green" stuff just yet.
The planning laws were recently changed in Ireland to allow for the adding of solar panels and some wind technology (depending on size / capacity) without the need to go through the planning application process...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado

http://www.earthship.net/

Some people we know built one of these. They save Tons of $$ using recycled tires, and now they have nearly NO heating and cooling costs.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

I'd like to build a fairly self-sufficient house, but not really for all the politically correct reasons. Mostly, I'm tired of paying bills. The deregulation of electricity in Texas that was supposed to save me all kinds of money is doing exactly the opposite ($0.19/kWh - seriously?!). A one time overhead cost well into the 5 figures range would be acceptable so long as I expect to live in the house for a significant amount of time. For me, the environmental impacts (or lack thereof) would be completely by chance rather than by design.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #18
NJTomatoguy

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Maple Shade NJ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I went green before it was cool.

Burn wood to heat house- Carbon neutral renewable resource. All my wood is recycled from either curb or facility, where my town fills 2 dumpsters a day to go to the landfill. Cut my Gas/Electric bill from $290 a month EPP to $75 a month EPP(Equal Payment Plan) cost averaged for 1 yr.

Water restricted toilet, faucets, shower.

CF(compact flourescent) licghts in all lamps and light fixtures except for the kitchen cceiling fan because they are not available.

Laundry- Cold water wash, hang outside to dry.

Garden is huge: most veggies I eat come from garden.

Compost- awesome for the garden, reduces waste in landfill.

Beer cans recycled for profit, now bottles are re-used.

This years heat=

Also, work from home, so gas purchases are minimal-

Stopped all junk mail, newspapers, and pay everything electronically.

Don't drink bottled water-bought water filter, and fill re-usable water bottles from camping store.

Switched from desktop to laptop computer, uses half the energy.
Cieling fans make a big difference all year round.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #19
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Southwest
Liked 808 Times on 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTomatoguy View Post
Water restricted toilet
Anybody else HATE these? It's all well and good that they only use 1.2 gallon per flush, but I find myself flushing at least twice per "session." So, what's the point?

Old 08-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #20
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Eastern Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri_Rage View Post
Anybody else HATE these? It's all well and good that they only use 1.2 gallon per flush, but I find myself flushing at least twice per "session." So, what's the point?
HA! Twice... Ya Right.

I flush those damn things twice when I have to go wee wee.

We'll be flushing till sun up when #2 comes along.