Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Steeping grains question

Old 08-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #1
KENfromMI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Steeping grains question

Why do the recipes recommend starting with cold water in your brew pot and slowly bringing them up to steeping temperature for the specialty grains? Is hot tap water to hot to start with? Ken

Old 08-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2853 Times on 1690 Posts
Likes Given: 3507

It's one of those "different strokes for different brewers" things. Really it is whatever works for you. I usually use hot water myself. The point is to let it steep for at least 1/2 hour and to not exceed 170 degrees or else you will extract tannins...

The instructions for recipes are usually written in terms of the author's brewing style/preference. if they were a hot tap water steeper, then the recipe would probably reflect that.

Some people even cold steep overnight.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew