Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Weight lifting advice needed

Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 AM   #1
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Default Weight lifting advice needed

Any fitness buffs out there willing to give me some advice about weight lifting?
Over the past 7 months or so I have lost 50 pounds. Lately I have noticed that I have lost a bit of muscle mass along with the fat. I would like to get into the weight room but I have never really been into that kind of fitness training. Right now I'm walking about 4 miles a day and I'm feeling pretty good. I'm not interested in body building. I just want to tone up and fill out a few places that seem to be disappearing! Some of that may be due to the fact that I'm almost 50 but I'm hoping I can still tone up some areas.
Any tips on how to get started and what types of lifting I need to do would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:01 AM   #2
nitrousjunkie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First, talk to a doc. I know, I know, but it is kinda important. Once you get to a gym, take it slow at first. For lifting, it is a good idea of what results you are looking for and taylor your workout for that.

Old 08-10-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Well considering there is no such thing as "toning" up. Tone means more muscle period. Maybe not as much as someone who has bulk but more than avg.

Good plans are simple- Mon Back, Tues Chest, Wed Legs, thurs Shoulders, Fri Arms.

If you have a time crunch Mon Back and Biceps, Tues Chest and Tri, shoulders Wed legs.
As for exercises- Barbells build strength while dumbells build size so use them both. Maybe one week alternating. Focus on the basics Bench, squat, pulldowns, latteral raises, presses, curls

Good muscle tone is easy to achieve if you have 4 things, Good diet 40% Protein, 40% carbs, 10%fats. Once thats good any your calories are in the right target range you can focus on training.

Training for good muscle growth changes all the time but a good base starts with 3 sets, one warm up 10-15 reps, one for working 10 reps 65% max lift and last on 6-10 reps 80% of max weight.

3rd is good supplementation. Vitamins, protein and some extras. Dont rely on these for a bad diet. Protein supps should be less than 25% of your total protein intake. This goes hand in hand with diet.

Sleep- Its been proven that sleep will increase muscle gain and fat loss. Too little and the body cant regenerate.

Above all- make a plan and stick with it. 6 weeks you can see some results but 6 months people will be talking and telling you that you look amazing. Never give up.

Also for more info visit www.muscletalk.co.uk
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-10-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 103

I actually had a complete physical a few weeks ago and the doc was quite impressed with how healthy I am. I don't have any restrictions on physical activity except I can no longer run for long distances.
Can I just go to a gym and ask someone to tailor a weight lifting regimen for me?

Old 08-10-2008, 04:16 AM   #5
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Can I just go to a gym and ask someone to tailor a weight lifting regimen for me?
Depends on the gym- Good gyms will show you the ropes. Some will charge. Spend the $ and get a trainer. That can really help, especially if you need someone to push you.

The best thing for you to do is read- learn and do. Ive spent over 10 years in the gym learning. Your body can tell you a lot. Start easy but then challenge yourself. I watch guys do all sorts of crazy lifts without doing the basics and they wonder why they never improve or get hurt a lot.
Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What I did when I joined the gym was hired a personal trainer for two weeks. They hired this hot little thing named Olga Hurtzenschlitz to give me some pointers, what kind of regimen I should have, and how to use all the machines. She also made me wish I was never born because of the untold pain of billions of muscle cells crying in unison, then silence.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Resistance training. Keep the weight down, repetitions up and do each rep slowly. Find out the maximum you can lift for each exercise and work with 60%. Start with 5-10 reps and three sets, work up to 20 reps. Sub-maximal training is much safer.

Building fast-twitch cells is just about impossible at our ages, but slow-twitch cells respond well. Also, use free-weights. More muscles are involved.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM   #8
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What David said, except that I go for machines on the bench, shoulder, and legs because I don't have a spotter nearby. Free weights are better, though, as long as you can be safe. Also, when doing sets of say, 10, if the tenth rep isn't really, really hard, you should increase the weight. There's no reason to spend hours lifting when a much smaller time spent doing focused, intense work will get the job done.

Also, wear headphones. People make the strangest noises when picking up heavy things and putting them down again.

Lastly, taking some ibuprofen either before or right after the workout will do wonders for your soreness over the next couple of days. Once your body gets used to lifting, the soreness will mostly go away, but the first couple of weeks usually find me creaky in the mornings.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
A4J
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Here's a good link for a beginner.. There are other great articles on that site, so be sure to explore a bit.

Another great site is exrx.net. They have animated gifs on how to execute the different muscle exercises.

My mid-century modern keezer build thread.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #10
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Don't start skipping your aerobic exercise. One day weight, next day aerobic is a good regiment. It give a day for your muscles to repair themselves after a weight lifting workout.

I saying this to myself as well as you. I've let my middle aged body go to pot this past year. Time to get back in the regular exercise routine!