Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Dry yeast Vs Liquid

Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #41
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1262 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 34

You don't really need to stir the yeast in. In fact, it's better if you just sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and let them take on the moisture at their own pace. There's no reason to proof the yeast either.. unless it was super heated in the package, it's going to be fine.

July 4th Sale, $20 off plate chillers through July 4th.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:16 PM   #42
jts15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdog View Post
Yeah, that WB-06 seems to confirm the going wisdom that dry yeasts are great for clean American or English styles, but that Belgians, Hefes, and other specialty brews do better with the liquids. All of my favorite beers fall into that American/English vein, so the dry yeast works terrifically for me, but then I don't brew many hefes.
Sorry for the noob question but can you guys expand on the "other specialty brews"? I'm also not sure what you mean by "clean" styles. Are stouts considered clean?
I've only done 5 batches and used all liquid yeast (I guess I heard the old myth that liquid is superior too). I'd like to cut my costs but don't want to sacrifice on taste.
Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #43
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 127 Posts

"clean" means that they do not add a lot of their own flavor from the yeast. it leaves most of that up to the malt and hops.

stouts do not generally need a liquid yeast. nottingham will make a fantastic dry stout. us-05 will work great for stouts, too.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 AM   #44
Labrat
Recipes 

Default how much are you paying for dry yeast (US-5) these days?

I have recently noticed that dry yeast is going up in price. A few months ago I was paying $1.60 and recently it is over $2.50. While this is much cheaper than liquid it is a drastic increase. I can make 10 slants and batch from a vial or bag of yeast. This significantly lowers the price per beer when buying 50# sacks of grain. I like to give beer away, thus as cheap as possible.
The frugal brewer

Reason: mistake

Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 AM   #45
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
I have recently noticed that dry yeast is going up in price. A few months ago I was paying $1.60 and recently it is over $2.50. While this is much cheaper than liquid it is a drastic increase. I can make 10 slants and batch from a vial or bag of yeast. This significantly lowers the price per beer when buying 50# sacks of grain. I like to give beer away, thus as cheap as possible.
The frugal brewer
Williams Brewing has Nottingham and Safale -05. When you buy a dozen, the knock 25 cents off a pack. That brings Nottingham down to $1.20/pack and Safale-05 down to $1.60 per pack.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:52 AM   #46
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
The frugal brewer
Speaking speculatively, my guess is that it's because transporting things has gotten a lot more expensive lately. I'm curious though (sincerely curious, not rhetorically curious), do the materials involved in making slants push the cost/benefit of liquid in any way?

Old 08-13-2008, 03:28 AM   #47
Labrat
Recipes 

The slants require very little dry malt extract and some plain gelatin packets. The corresponding starters require much more malt extract. I love the US-05 it is extremely convenient and fast. The 1056/WLP001 yeast were my default yeast anyway. I only recently became aware of the Safale US-05 since I restarted brewing (December). The nice thing about slants is you can start a library of some of the more exotic strains. I can store these cold for many months. I will probaby order a case of US-05 and or the Nottingham and keep the slants for the "special brews."

Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #48
944play
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01 View Post
This is why we introduced our new lager yeast ( Diamond Lager Yeast ) last year.

source
Are any HBSs carrying Diamond?

AHS repackages W-34/70, for example.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #49
jay075j
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
I see there a many fans of Nottingham out there. Has anyone done a side by side comparison with US Safale-05?
I have this experiment going right now. I did 20 gal of BM Centenial Blonde this weekend, and I have 10 gal with Nottingham, and 10 with Safale-05. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. But to be honest, I'm not really sure if there will be an discernable difference. I'll let you know though.

"All right, brain, I don't like you, and you don't like me, so let's just do this and I'll get back to killing you with beer." - Homer Simpson

Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #50
Bob869007
Mmmmm Beer!

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Similar

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
I'm fermenting a SNPA Clone as I write this. Because I forgot to order DME for a starter, I decided to experiment. I split the batch into 2 carboys, then added different but similar yeasts. One with US Safale-05 and the other Wyeast 1056. Based on my techniques and anal sanitation this has potential to be my best brew yet. I'm definitely excited to taste the difference. Who else has tried this sort of side by side experiment with dry vs liquid and what were your results?
I brewed a Pale Ale with Wyeast Ringwood Ale and then I brewed the exact same recipe with Safale US-05. The Safale is still in the secondary but the Ringwood version is awesome.

Primary: Salty Dog Pale Ale

Primary: Angry Bob's Amarillo IPA

Primary: Salty Dog Pale Ale

Secondary: Ed Wort's Apfelwine

Keg 1: Salty Dog Pale Ale

Keg 2: Angry Bob's Amarillo IPA

Keg 3: Cask Conditioning: Ed Wort's Haus Ale with a Hops adjustment

Bottled: Salty Dog Pale Ale