bleach in homebrewing - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > bleach in homebrewing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
vicmick
Recipes 
 
Mar 2006
Posts: 1


g/day all have just joined so hello to everybody .i have just read a book that says you can use household bleach to sterilise brewing equipment wont this leave a taste in the fermenter.i use brewshield but its dear so if theres something cheaper i would like to know.vicmick:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 01:16 AM   #2
sudsmonkey
 
sudsmonkey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Deepest, darkest Eastern NC
Posts: 1,238
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


They say not to use bleach on stainless steel, as it's corrosive. For glass or plastic, it's great, just rinse well.
__________________
More like a sock monkey, really...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #3
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts


I've used bleach a lot in the past. Just be sure to rinse the item for a minute or so under hot running water.

If you don't your beer will end up tasting like vinegar and will be undrinkable.
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Long Island
Posts: 4,646
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmonkey
They say not to use bleach on stainless steel, as it's corrosive. For glass or plastic, it's great, just rinse well.
I completely agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I've used bleach a lot in the past. Just be sure to rinse the item for a minute or so under hot running water.
I'd agree with this if you live in America, where the water heater is fed directly from the water supply to the house. If your water heater is fed from an open storage tank (like mine was in England), then it will not be sanitized, and could cause problems with bacterial infection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
If you don't your beer will end up tasting like vinegar and will be undrinkable.
I respectfully disagree with this. Vinegar is caused by a bacterial infection (which the bleach should kill), but not rinsing excess bleach will certainly cause off flavors.

There are other sanitizers that do not require rinsing. They cost more than bleach, but are still not excessive.

My favorite is Iodophor. It sanitizes very quickly, and doesn't require rinsing.

-a.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:30 AM   #5
El Pistolero
 
El Pistolero's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2005
Houston, Baja Oklahoma
Posts: 3,585
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by vicmick
i have just read a book that says you can use household bleach to sterilise brewing equipment
You can't use bleach to sterilise anything, but you can use it to clean, and even sanitize your brewing equipment (except for stainless steel, as previously noted). To use bleach as a cleanser, mix two oz. bleach to 5 gallons of water and let set overnight. As others have noted make sure to rinse, rinse, and rinse some more.

To use bleach as a no rinse sanitizer, mix 1 teaspoon of bleach in 5 gallons of cold water, and immerse the items in this solution for 1/2 to 1 hour.

The above from Papazian, for what it's worth.
__________________
[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:31 AM   #6
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Baron von BeeGee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 5,397
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts


You're not a real homebrewer if you use bleach.












I keed!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:44 AM   #7
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
budbo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
La Plata, MD
Posts: 2,315
Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
I respectfully disagree with this. Vinegar is caused by a bacterial infection (which the bleach should kill), but not rinsing excess bleach will certainly cause off flavors
I no longer use Bleach, failure to properly rinse resulted in 35 of 52 bottles having almost no carbonation and a "soapy" taste (undrinkable).. the bottles that were rinsed well yielded a very tasty Bitter Ale.

If you use Bleach rinse rinse rinse then rinse a few more times.

There is nothing Cheaper than Bleach, but at about 12 cents US (thats $50 Canadian) a gallon Star San is a good way to go considering it can last up to 4 weeks. Idophor is good but after a few hours it loses potency.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:10 AM   #8
God Emporer BillyBrew
 
God Emporer BillyBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2005
Melnibone
Posts: 1,509
Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts


My problem with Iodophor is that you can actually use too much. I'm not much of a measurer, so I like one step. I probably make it more work than it needs to be, I do an Iodophor soak and follow it up with a rinse in one step. I just do that to make sure I don't have any Iodine left on my stuff. Sounds like I could just rinse with hot water from the faucet, though. I always thought you had to boil rinse water...

What is this star san you speak of? I don't think I've noticed it in my LHBS. Can you use too much of it?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:19 AM   #9
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Baron von BeeGee's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2005
Barony of Fuquay-Varina, NC
Posts: 5,397
Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
What is this star san you speak of? I don't think I've noticed it in my LHBS. Can you use too much of it?
Star-san is another no-rinse (that I use). It comes in a handy bottle with a measuring chamber so it's pretty much impossible to FU. 1oz/5g water == no-rinse heaven. It also lasts around a month and can be re-used, so 5g will generally last for one entire brewing cycle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:48 AM   #10
Glibbidy
 
Glibbidy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Sunny Southern Vermont
Posts: 2,369
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by God Emporer BillyBrew
My problem with Iodophor is that you can actually use too much. I'm not much of a measurer, so I like one step. I probably make it more work than it needs to be, I do an Iodophor soak and follow it up with a rinse in one step. I just do that to make sure I don't have any Iodine left on my stuff. Sounds like I could just rinse with hot water from the faucet, though. I always thought you had to boil rinse water...
True you can use too much Iodophor, but if it is measured you can really stretch it because you don't need alot of it. The amount of residual iodine won't impart the flavor of your beer. I think you may be more at risk by rinsing the bleach solution off of your equipment with hot water.

Besides, Iodophor really only requires a 30 second soak.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bleach /help!/ 400d Equipment/Sanitation 4 09-27-2009 03:56 PM
TSP & Bleach Kaazmar Equipment/Sanitation 2 10-31-2007 03:06 AM
Bleach ffgus Equipment/Sanitation 2 10-25-2007 01:56 AM
Bleach + Keg = ? raleighharwell Equipment/Sanitation 5 05-31-2007 01:42 PM
Anyone here use bleach? Waldo Equipment/Sanitation 22 11-02-2005 08:15 PM


Forum Jump