Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > pyrex fermenter

Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #1
Tankenator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default pyrex fermenter

have a buddy that was interested in the hobby a year or so ago, so i told him i would show him how to do it....i told him what he needed (carboy etc). He comes up with a pyrex 5 gallon fermentator.....I have no idea how much this is worth (he had it salvaged from a lab that went out of business) I dont beleive he appreciated the time investment for the beer and hasnt made beer since. I suppose i could get the carboy from him--likely for free. Any suggestions on if i should directly heat this thing????

Old 08-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

New, it is probably worth $250-300. It would certainly handle a heat belt without any worries.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Tankenator
Recipes 

When he brought it to the brew session it was still in the box, with the packing materials included. It has an odd flange on the top, probably .75 inches wide and the neck is non-standard, I dont remember the size bung we ended up using, I believe the nominal diameter we measured was like 2.5 inches or so (its been awhile since I saw the thing.)

I think Im gonna have to have me a chat with me friend

Old 08-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

I wanna see a picture of this baaad boy...working at a medical, I might be passing something like this by on a daily basis, and might be able to lay my hands on one, like I did my stirplate and beakers, when the upgrade them.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Tankenator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I wanna see a picture of this baaad boy...working at a medical, I might be passing something like this by on a daily basis, and might be able to lay my hands on one, like I did my stirplate and beakers, when the upgrade them.
I dont have a picture handy, but it looks very similiar to standard carboy, except instead of the mouth of the neck being threaded or bottle like, it has a flange around the top, from 3/4 to 1 inch wide (i assume to allow for clamp type fittings to allow for sealed connections.....) On the side in big red letters is Pyrex, same font as the grocery store measuring cup thingys. I don't recall any measuring index markings, although they may have been there...

Was a bit heavier than a carboy, i would estimate around 20% (I believe the glass was thicker than a carboy)

Old 08-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
big t
Recipes 

Look a little something like this? It is $284!

Old 08-10-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
Tankenator
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by big t View Post
Look a little something like this? It is $284!

almost just like it, except carboy sized....

Old 08-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
big t
Recipes 

The pic I posted is a 5 gallon pyrex carboy, its just a small pic.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #9
Tankenator
Recipes 

i dont remember the neck being so conical in shape, but perhaps it was. Like i said it was over a year ago, approaching two. I need to get down to his house and have a chat with him......

Old 08-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
shineman
Recipes 

the gold mine i worked at had that carboy in their lab, stored cyanide and acid in them, they gave me two when they closed down and after i cleaned the hell out of them i've been useing them for years. they work very good for fermenters but they are hard to move around, they weigh about twice the regular carboy.
gary